22 no D-Strong Reverse needs insight

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Marc Aldrich, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

IMO trust is weak. Just look at how fat the RTY in liberty is! That is from a worn die!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Date looks to strong to be a worn die. Last 2 not looking like my weak D. But I really ain’t the one to help you. Send it in. All 22’s need to be slabbed

4. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

You are correct that I was not at either the Philadelphia or the Denver Mint in 1922. I have merely been attributing 1922 No D and Weak D cents since I ran Coin World's Collectors Clearinghouse Dept. in the 1970's, and officially authenticating them since I joined ANACS in 1978. Between those two gigs and 26 years working as a professional coin dealer I have seen quite a few 1922 cents of all sorts.

The various TPG's that I have consulted with on the article which has since expanded to a book I am writing about the cents of 1922 have seen far more than I have. None of us have seen a 1922 No D Die Pair #2 coin from a new or even an early die state out of many thousands of coins examined over the past half century. The Smithsonian does not have one (I checked).

I have been working on identifying earlier die states of the four major Die Pairs and have identified one of them in a fairly new die state, but not the Die Pair #2. If I do find the mythical New Die State of the Die Pair #2 without a mint mark, I will be sure to let you know.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If this coin is genuine (and it might be fake) the D was probably removed,
    and it's not a true, "no D". This coin will never straight grade.
    They have been removing the D's from these coins for over 50 years.
    You can't buy this type of coin raw. Someone is trying to change a $20 coin into a $2000 coin. That's all that is going on here. The date seems fine.
    The dates on the 1922 are often whacked. I don't like the color and details on the reverse, or the smile on the portrait.

Dynoking and Cheech9712 like this.
  6. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

I appreciate your sharing your background with me.

You do have experience, and that carries weight.

My thoughts are, and still are, speculation. Years ago, I learned to not except what was excepted, in any area, not just coins. Many times, my questions start other people thinking about other possibilities.

Your resources are so much more than mine. If I knew of you before, I would have liked to contact you. I still would.

Contraction the Smithsonian, nice.

Please let me know when your book is out. I cannot afford a 1922, Die Pair #2, but I love studying up on it.

Thank you for not 'blowing me off.'

Stay safe.

I look forward to learning more.

Rassi, Spark1951, GH#75 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

What a gentleman

Beefer518 and KarlB like this.
  8. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

BTW, and FWIW, I did not comment on the authenticity of the OP's coin before because I had already entered a bid on it before I saw his question. I fully expect it to slab. I was not the ultimate buyer.

Draft saved Draft deleted