20th Anniversary Eagle Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by swick, Apr 30, 2007.

1. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

Their is a lot of nice stuff out there and am sure there will be many desirable mintages in the upcoming years. For those who collect mainly modern issue's I have to ask what will be coming out in the near future that can focus significant attention away from the Silver anniversary set. Now I know everyone is different and collect different things. Got the platinum sets coming out and a bunch of stuff that I have no clue about. But here we are talking about a coin set that was issued at $100 bucks a few months ago.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swick

swick New Member

FloridaBill,
    The price didn't seem to stay in the $3000.00 to $4000.00 range for too long, did it? WOW!! Man, am I one dumb a__ or what?!?!?!? LOLOLOL Sure wish I would have bought some of those sets! Oh well!! LOL

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Based on what? Pure speculation?

You can buy a lot of coin for 1000 or 10,000 some of them very nice Colonials.

Ruben

5. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

You are correct. PCGS will not give the uncirculated $1 a 70 grade. But they will give the reverse and regular proof a PR70 grade.

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Whats the price on silver now?

7. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

Right now $13.34.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I was really thinking of buying stock in Merck. What do you think?

Ruben

9. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

Real estate is where its at. Become a landlord.

10. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

A few months ago, I wanted a 2001 Buffalo proof silver dollar and offered to trade one of my 20th anniversary silver eagle sets for it (at a time when they were going for $200). The dealer turned up his nose at it and said, "they'll come down in price".

I'll bet he's sorry he didn't take me up on the offer.
    But I'm very glad he didn't.

11. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I bought one with the intent of selling it when it reached $200, but I fell in love with the set.

12. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

Been looking at one dealer for a while who has the Silver anniversary set. Found some that sell for less than him but they/he has been going up lately on these sets about $25 a week. Who knows how long they will continue to do this. Anyhow I am glad that i do not collect with the idea of selling so it's not a big deal to me either way. Kind of fun to watch like a football game.

13. jaytant

jaytant Active Member

The bubble has to burst someday... but I said that when it was $250 and decided to wait to buy a set... now its $400 and I shall wait until the day my income catches up to the price!
    at the rate of these things rising, all those finance guys in NY might as well drop their stock and buy US Mint products...

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

\ | /
    - * -- Pop
    / | \

15. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

I'm not so sure.
    They can't make any more 20th anniversary sets.
    Look at the 1996 10th anniversary silver eagle; There are several going on ebay right now with active bids over $4,000.

1995-W 10th Anniversary Silver Eagle $1 NGC PR69UCAM[​IMG]

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Right - your idea of time is not mine. If you have a spare $4,000 don't invest it in a '96
    Silver Eagle PR '69.

See this Comic book :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Showcase-22-FIR...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

This book was over $10,000 once.

This bubble ***will*** burst and will will wish you brought a better coin when it does.

Ruben

17. Dragon

Dragon New Member

Ruben,
    You are probably right. But who knows when that will happen. This horse still has legs if you know what I mean. Just like stocks, they eventually fall. Timing is everytihing.
    Dragon

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

There is a big difference between stocks and any other "investment" with the possible differnece of real property (land).

Stocks pay dividends and make money (of fail to make money) in the real world. Coins, Stamps, Comics, Baseball Cards, Bullion, timber, coffee et al - is ALL speculation on a commodity. Timber and Coffee have real consumption in the world. Collectables and completely a mind game.

A coin like the 1996W proof is an aritfical scacity based on a manufactured collectable. These are always loosing propositions over the long haul. Its not like the historical and artisitc demand for something like this:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=434&Lot_No=124

or this

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=434&Lot_No=613#Photo

Invest in Tullups.

Ruben

19. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

Hope the Silver anniversary set does well. I hate to think I would loose my entire $100 per set I have in them.

20. Dragon

Dragon New Member

I wish all the tech stocks I have would pay dividends!

The point I was making is that few things continue to go up and up forever.

Bama Guy - I doubt you will lose your $100. If they drop to that price, let me know and I will take them off your hands :)

21. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

I agree completely with that. I wouldn't buy one at that price. But I really wish I had bought one from the mint at the original issue price.

My approach to things like this is to just acknowledge that I missed the boat and spend my money on what I think might be the next great thing.

In the case of the 20th anniversary sets, I bought 3 at the issue price (for myself and my two kids) and I have no plans on selling them no matter how high the price goes.

Draft saved Draft deleted