2023 Red Book Question about 1792 Half Disme

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Publius2, May 27, 2022.

1. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

My 2019 Red Book does not list the 1792 half disme as a regular issue of the mint intended for circulation within the half dime listings. It also doesn't list it as a pattern although the Red Book's pattern listings are very limited. This 2019 issue of the RB does not mention the 1792 at all with the exception of a brief couple of sentences on page 25 "The first coin struck by the government was the half disme." But no mention of it being a regular issue or a pattern.

I am well aware of the arguments and publications of the last few years on the topic so I'm not looking to get into a discussion of regular issue versus pattern. Although if someone wants to, we can start a separate thread on that topic. What I'm asking for help on is:

I am working on a presentation regarding the 1792 half disme and I was wondering what the 2023 issue of the RB says about it. Would someone with a copy mind taking a look for me?

Thanks for any help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

My 2023 was shipped by Wizard today, so I should have it Tuesday - here is the 2022 listing for the 1792 half disme, I can transcribe it or take a closer picture if you like. It is listed in "Contract Issues and Patterns"
    IMG_5003.JPG

Publius2 likes this.
  4. Publius2

Thanks. If it is different in the 2023, I'd appreciate a nod.

Many, maybe most, outfits now include this coin in the regular issue category: PCGS Type and Issue Registry Sets for one.

MIGuy likes this.
  5. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I have a hard copy of Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of US & Colonial Coins, ISBN 0-385-14207-2. Colonial Coins page 276. The 1792 half disme. See Chapter 16 on page 152. This gives the reasons for this. I wish I could copy and post, but do not have a way to do it.

MIGuy likes this.
  6. MIGuy

I just bought a used copy (former library book) of Breen's Encyclopedia - I believe this is what you're referring to (p. 276)?
    IMG_5004.JPG IMG_5005.JPG

7. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

8. MIGuy

@Publius2 I think you'll find this interesting, Wizard Coin Supply and FedEx provided early delivery of the 2023 Redbook - the half-disme is now listed in both the Pattern Coins and Federal Issues sections - take a look. Page 86 in Contract Issues and Patterns: "1792 Half Disme The silver half disme of 1792 was actually a regular issue, struck for circulation in a quantity of about 1500.... For grading and specifications see Page 139 [Federal Issues]" See below.
    IMG_5007.JPG IMG_5006.JPG IMG_5008.JPG

Publius2 likes this.
  9. Publius2

That is perfect. Thanks so much for looking and posting the pages. I am pulling together information to see if I want to make a presentation to my Local Coin Club on the (generally accepted) change in status of the 1792 half disme with some other related matters like the recent change in the status of the Fugio Cent. To get my facts straight, I needed to see if the 2023 Red Book had acknowledged the generally accepted result of the last several years of numismatic research and debate over the matter. A debate that has simmered since the middle of the 19th century. I see that the Red Book editors are sort of straddling the fence. The coin can't be both a pattern and a regular issue for circulation. I suppose it still has the Judd-7 attribution as listed in my Mega Red Book, 4th Edition (2018). Interestingly, the 1998 publication of "1792-1837 Federal Half Dimes" by Logan & McCloskey calls the issue a "intended for circulation" product of the Federal government, not a pattern.

Thanks again for your efforts. CT Forum members are the best!

Anthony Mazza and MIGuy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted