2023 P Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bcrabtree27, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Bcrabtree27

Bcrabtree27 New Member

Hello, I am still new to the coin world and am having trouble identifying errors. I found 3 2023 P Elanor Roosevelt quarters today and noticed this one is different. I cannot find anything on the 2023 coins online. Is this a Double Strike, Doubled die error or just die deterioration? Any links or info would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

It looks like the coin has been struck twice. The doubling is not very pronounced like on other doubled die coins, and machine doubling, like the one above, occurs so often that many don't even consider it a mint error. They are quite cool, though, in my opinion.

4. Bcrabtree27

Bcrabtree27 New Member

Thanks. Actually one of the other quarters I found with this one is similar. You can see slight doubling on the letters but looks more like die deterioration. I also thought it looked like a Double Strike. First double anything I've found so it'll go in the new collection! Thank you.

5. Bcrabtree27

Bcrabtree27 New Member

Here is a couple pictures from the other 2023 P Quarter.

Attached Files:

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's just die Deterioration Doubling.
    Worthless doubling found on thousands of other coins.

7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Tip: one way to determine if there is machine damage, view the device at a “higher” level. Trace the periphery of a device. Is the area of interest thicker? Thinner? Thickness might suggest doubling. Thinning suggests deterioration or machine damage. What happens often is the device has distortion caused by one or the other, or both. That’s what I see in your specimen. Evidence of die wash and the shelflike appearance in the ‘thinner’ section of the device.

Thicker devices could be from actual doubling. But later die stages produce devices that spread out and become distorted. True doubling can be confirmed by offsets/rotation. These are not present here though.

JPD3 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  8. Bcrabtree27

Bcrabtree27 New Member

Thank you. In the original photos if you look at the upper left of the N in unum and the bottom of the Q I can notice what looks to me like notching. I'm sure the pictures don't do justice to it but the notes on those letters more specifically is what made me think it is a Double Strike instead of just deterioration. As if the letter was placed overtop of the underlying letter. Like I said I'm new so I could be wrong. Thank you for the explanation of what to look for

Kevin Mader likes this.
  9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

First, learn the difference between an error and a variety.
    error-ref.com

Second, it can’t be hub doubling because the dies aren’t made like that anymore. The only exception to this is Class VIII …same link to learn.

Third, coins are only struck once, nominally about 12 times a second. The exceptions are from machine malfunctions which create errors. doubleddie.com for “The Minting Process”.

@paddyman98 said it all, it is all die deterioration. How many millions/billions do you think were made? How many die pairs were used?

Once you learn these basic tenets you will recognize the differences quickly.
    …imo…Spark

JPD3 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I see what you are saying. The Q is the more interesting part and may be part of the reverse design. I did not see the RDV posted at Variety Vista to confirm.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just a worn die. That’s what caused the doubling you see. Very common and only worth face. Welcome to CT.

JPD3 likes this.
  12. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT.
    My grandfather always said, "The more you read the more you learn."
    There are multiple types of doubling that appear on coins, only a few are worth more than face value. Even hobbyists who have spent years looking through coins sometimes get it wrong. That's why bonified groups like Coin Talk are good to join. We hash an issue back and forth until a consensus is reached that results in the best answer for the OP. Continue to post and participate.
    @Spark1951 said to check error-ref.com and doubleddie.com. Add to your list of bookmarked sites this one:
    http://www.varietyvista.com/25 What Are Die Varieties/False Forms of Doubling.htm

Collecting Nut and Spark1951 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted