2022 time for me to start checking on coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Murillo, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!
    Well? I have questions about sending in coins for grading, have never done this but I figured why not give it a try right? I have thought about it awhile back but guess in the back of mind thought it was to expensive and my coins might not be worth grading. Not looking to sell coins but to grade, saving for my grandchildren.

Who knows unless you give it a try and Darn it, this is the year I'm going to start!! Having said this just curious about your thoughts.

To grade or not to grade that is the question. Here is an example of what I'm thinking of sending in.
    Thanks everyone!!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The cost of grading this coin will far exceed it's value. My advice? Ya want it graded, buy it graded.

4. Vootsaker

Vootsaker New Member

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

save your money

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Thank you, I like to coin roll hunt and found this is a roll of pennies, I have been buying coins for awhile and it's fun just to see if you find something that looks odd. Don't plan to buy coins that are graded, just interested in finding out what coins I have would grade. Thank you

green18 likes this.
  7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get into color because the pictures are too dark and hard to discern, but that right there, 1993 D is a rough year for the dies and planchets. if you go look at PCGS most all the examples on there, even in high MS are bumpy or roller lines or orange peel to the surface. It's a hard one to get right. ''
    what I do see on your example is a lot of machine doubling, that may or may not involve split plate doubling in some locations. but again the pictures are too dark to determine..

What I will say is, it needs to be MS68 or better to have been worth the costs to get it graded, even MS68 would sell on ebay for around $50-$60 or so. With the exception of one of the cheaper services like ANACS or ICG that dont' have a membership cost to submit and run specials. you might want to take advantage of a grading special from one of them,
    my opinion, it's a pretty coin for it's age, however, it's not going to be worth the grading fees to send it in due to the hits on the obverse under RT in liberty, and the one on the reverse in the E in CENT, and the overall extensive machine doubling on the obverse. I think you can find prettier to submit, smoother and sharper, and sharper rims, but it's your money to do with as you please of course.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Cheech9712 and Inspector43 like this.
  8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Oh, and I want to add, a third party grading company, is a third party "opinion" on what the coin grades. it's honestly not a "who knows how it pans out" situation if you know where the major lines are and what it takes to cross them, at least you'd be in the ballpark on a guess before shelling out the money. MS68, that is not. But again, it's your money, do as you please with it, you can't take it with you. :)

9. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

These are so common. Save your money. MHO!

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Let's distinguish between having coins "graded" and having them "encapsulated". Having a coin graded involves having a group of people examine the coin for authenticity and for the presence or absence of wear and for quality of strike, and then encapsulating it with a kind of certificate. This is usually done with coins of high value (usually around $200 or so before considering it) to increase their value because of the certification of authenticity. Whew! Now, with that said, if the primary reason for doing this is to preserve coins for your descendants, you would get much more bang for your buck to either put these coins in a 2x2 flip with a label in the second pocket with a hand-written description, or in some cases, encapsulated in a third-party slab with (once again) a hand-written description. What a lovely rememberance.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have a few MS-68 Wheat Ear Cents. There were slabbed by a TPG, one of the top three TPG’s to be exact. I paid $5.00 or less for each coin. It’s might look nice, it might be nice but it’s not worth the cost to grade them.

The TPG’s must be doing a good job of selling themselves as so many people are asking about grading coins that don’t have any real value.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

For your grandchildren, go back pre-1982. Invest carefully and wisely. Good luck!

Murillo and Kentucky like this.
  14. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

if you go to a coin show where anacs is at (maybe online too, if you call and mention promotion) they will grade & slab 14 for 140.00 and 25.00 (min) shipping back to you, more if coins are high value..hope this helps john

Murillo and John Burgess like this.
  15. If you have never sent in a coin for grading, it is worthwhile to do so just for the experience of it. However, as stated it’s better to send in only high value coins. Good luck. TC

Murillo likes this.
  16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you thought that the coin might be a DDO, notice how the doubling appears toward the perimeter. If you compare "Liberty", IGWT, the Date, it goes in different outward directions, which is an indication of DDD ( Die Deterioration Damage) which has no added value. IMO, Jim

Murillo likes this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I have to agree with John, and the others.
    If you want the experience of having a coin(s) graded, send it something you know would be worth the cost of grading, not a plating issue Zincoln with no worth. JMHO.

Murillo and john65999 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted