2022 so far

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Egry, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I only have a few more gaps in my collection which is aiming to obtain a portrait coin of all Roman Augustus, Augusta, Caesar, Usurper, wife, child, or mistress ever put on a coin.

I am aware that there are a number of these coins that simply are not obtainable unless I was Jeff B or Elon M. However, I will try my best to gain the ones I can.

The gaps are getting fewer and harder to fill. Below is a list of what I have been able to obtain since the start of 2022. I'd like to clarify that all the photos are auction photos, I will eventually get my own professional photos of these coins but I haven't yet.

Gordian I.JPG
    Gordian I Africanus Æ Sestertius. Rome, AD 238. IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AFR AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed / SECVRITAS AVGG, Securitas seated to left, holding short sceptre; SC in exergue. RIC IV 11; C.11; BMCRE 12. 18.47g, 30mm, 12h.

Gordian II.JPG

Gordian II Africanus AR Denarius. Rome, March- April, AD 238. IMP M ANT GORDIANVS AFR AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust to right / VIRTVS AVGG, Virtus standing to left, holding inverted spear and shield. RIC IV 3; BMCRE 30; RSC 14. 2.83g, 20mm, 7h.

Quintillus.JPG
    Quintillus BI Antoninianus. Mediolanum, AD 270. IMP QVINTILLVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust to right / FIDES MILIT, Fides standing to left, holding two standards, S in exergue. RIC V.1 52 var. (bust type); MER-RIC 1116. 2.91g, 18mm, 6h.

Martinian.JPG
    Martinian BI Nummus. Nicomedia, AD 324. D N M MARTINIANVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust to right / IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing facing, head to left, holding Victory on globe and eagle-tipped sceptre, on left, eagle standing to left, holding wreath in beak, on right, captive seated to right on ground; X above IIΓ in right field, SMNΓ in exergue. RIC VII 45. 2.23g, 22mm, 12h.

Julia Titi.JPG
    Julia Titi (daughter of Titus) AR Denarius. Rome, AD 80-81. IVLIA AVGVSTA TITI AVGVSTI F, diademed and draped bust to right / VENVS AVGVST, Venus standing to right, resting on column and holding spear and helmet. RIC II.1 388 (Titus); BMCRE 141 (Titus); RSC 14. 2.86g, 19mm, 6h.

Pertinax.JPG

Pertinax AR Denarius. Rome, AD 193. IMP CAES P HELV PERTIN AVG, laureate head to right / AEQVIT AVG TR P COS II, Aequitas standing to left, holding scales and cornucopiae. RIC IV 1a; BMCRE 15; RSC 2. 3.11g, 18mm, 6h.

Aureolus.JPG
    Aureolus BI Antoninianus. In the name and types of Postumus. Mediolanum, AD 267-268. IMP POSTVMVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Postumus to right / CONCORD EQVIT, Concordia standing to left, holding patera and rudder, foot on prow of ship; S in exergue. RIC V.2 373; Mairat, 2014 (unpublished PhD thesis), 501 and 503; Elmer 613. 3.40g, 21mm, 12h.

Didius Julianus.JPG

Didius Julianus AR Denarius. Rome, AD 193. IMP CAES M DID IVLIAN AVG, laureate head to right / RECTOR ORBIS, emperor standing to left, holding globe and roll. RIC IV 3; BMCRE 7; RSC 15. 2.83g, 19mm, 6h.

My first ancient coin was a fine grade antoninianus of Quintillus. It bought it for $40 from the local online buy and sell. It was the coin that started my addiction... um I mean collection. Surprisingly for a coin that is scarce but still very economical they are quite difficult to find in decent grade. Therefore, of the above coins I would have to say my favourite is the Quintillus as it is the the second nicest one I've seen yet.

My second favourite would have to be the Didius, I haven't seen a nicer one (but I'm sure many on this forum have).

Please post your 2022 captures, or any coin you'd like to share.

GinoLR, thejewk, Fugio1 and 46 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zadie

zadie Well-Known Member

2022 has obviously been a great year for you thus far! Amazing. Both Gordian's are my favourites, superb portraits on both.

galba68 and Egry like this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Never heard of Martinian before. Neat!

Egry likes this.
  5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Egry, You scored some stunning rarities so far this year :jawdrop:! The Gordian I sestertius is my favorite, great portrait on that coin :cool:.

CNG Triton XXV, Lot 696, Prieur 1627 (2).jpg This is the first coin I scored this year from CNG Triton XXV, a rare variant.

1937 Hobo Nickel & Regular Issue.jpg
    The coin on the left recently arrived, a win from the Heritage Hobo Nickel auction on April 11; next to it is a standard issue from 1937 for comparison. The nickel was carved by Shane Jameson, a member of the Original Hobo Nickel Society (OHNS). The OHNS has some very talented engravers that carry on the tradition of transforming buffalo nickels & other coins into amusing novelties.

6. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

Wow. Those are some amazing rarities. In particular the Gordian I and Gordian II are varieties that I'll probably never acquire, and yours are of outstanding quality.

This year so far has been quieter, though decent. The photos of the vast majority of my acquisitions this year I've yet to take or upload.

My main focus has been my Philip II, Alexander, and the Era of the Diadochi collection, but most of the remaining coins are rare and haven't come up for auction this year. I have started two other smaller collections, and have picked up a fewer of the easier coins.

Overall, I've only purchased three coins at auction so far this year. On one other I was outbid. Of current auctions, there's one more I intend to bid on. I've purchased about 15 more from various VCoins sellers.

Here are a few of them.

Pelinna.jpg
    Thessaly, Pelinna, late 4th to early 3rd centuries BC. Æ Dichalkon (20mm, 7.49g, 12h). Head of Mantho veiled r. R/ Helmeted Thessalian rider wearing chlamys and short tunic, charging r. with couched lance on prancing horse. BCD Thessaly 534.1; Rogers 432; HGC 4, 275.
    Ex London Ancient Coins​

yehud.jpg
    JUDAEA, Achaemenid Province (Yehud). Anonymous. Circa 375-332 BCE. AR Gerah (7.2mm, 0.6 g, ). Helmeted head of Athena right / Owl standing right, head facing; lily and crescent to left, YHD (in Phoenician) to right. MCP YHD .Hendin 1050; cf. HGC 10, 435.
    Ex Holyland Ancient Coins

ziallas.jpg
    KINGS OF BITHYNIA. Ziailas, circa 250-230 BC. AE (Bronze, 18 mm, 4.89 g, 1 h). Diademed head of Ziailas to right. Rev. BAΣIΛE[ΩΣ] / ZIAHΛA Tropy of arms. Mørkholm, Early Hellenistic Coinage, 416. SNG von Aulock 243. Ex Leu.

7. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

@Al Kowsky a couple of great additions. I love the Hobo nickel, I find them so interesting first how they were made and secondly how they have become a real subset of American Coin collecting.

I do also like the Gordian I sestertius, nice and crisp. It has a lot of eye appeal that’s for sure

8. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

@kirispupis agree the Gordian are up high in my books, but in my opinion it was harder to find a higher grade Didius Julianus than it was to find the Gordians.

I like you Kings of Bithyna coin. The reverse really reminds me of the the rev on a Julius Caesar dupondius.

Great coins

9. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Really great additions, @Egry Two Gordian I and II coins, wow...

I have added quite a lot of coins, but few expensive ones. Most have been affordable, but still interesting coins. Here are 56 out of 71:

E9B683F8-70FA-45CC-B3B6-00863620122E.jpeg 564BE075-AA73-4CA4-85AD-DF208D5E2789.jpeg

10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...wow...you got sum killer coins man....its a fine thing to try to accomplish, all.....i have many, but always lacking a few and finding more that i didn't even know about :D IMG_1030.JPG

11. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

@svessien

Wow, that’s a lot of coins for 2022, and some really nice ones. Something about those nice crisp camp gates that I just can’t get enough of.

@ominus1

I love the coin desk, looks like a lot of analysis has taken place there. I just found out about Aureolus when I saw it at an auction, he wasn’t even on my list. Very hard to find anything out about him wondering if he was a new discovery? Hopefully someone knows more about it.

ominus1 likes this.
  12. ominus1

..haha! i hear ya. Aureolus is one of'em of late for me too...his coins are of Postumus but with a difference...i LOVE this hobby!:)

Egry likes this.
  13. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I mean how do they even figure this out?

ominus1 likes this.
  14. ominus1

haha...it might be a conspiracy to keep us who are almost there buying coins? :D:shifty:

15. ominus1

actually, i'm lQQking at ones of him now to acquire..and they are a might different...but it would be interesting to know when and who found this out and how...:)

Egry likes this.
  16. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

please keep me posted on your findings. I don’t believe I paid that much for mine, under $100

ominus1 likes this.
  17. ominus1

will do :)

Egry likes this.
  18. ominus1

i'm waiting for the bill on one right now for $55 shipped...i'll post it when i get it:)

Egry likes this.
  19. ominus1

Egry and Broucheion like this.
  20. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Wow - some great coins in your 2022 (so far)!

Here are a couple of recent additions from 2022 - the first now written up: "Roman Republican Sphinx".
    T Carisius Sphinx.jpg
    and the second is an unusual Cistophoric tetradrachm circa 145-140 BC from the reign of Attalus II of Pergamum : at least 2 dies and only 3 or 4 examples that I can find...This coin from before the Romans took full control of Asia Minor. This sentence from David Magie, Roman Rule in Asia Minor, provides some context regarding Attalus III's decision to bequeath his kingdom to Rome when he died in 133 BC:

"Attalus [III - ruled 138-133 BC] had done the best he could for his people. He had saved them by his will from turmoil and chaos, perhaps even from attack by one of the powers still left in Asia Minor. But his bequest resulted in reducing Pergamum from the royal capital and center of art to a provincial city, and - what was more disastrous - ultimately fastening on his subjects the yoke of the Roman tax-farmer."
    -David Magie, Princeton University Press, 1950

upload_2022-4-23_13-12-52.png
    Cistophoric Tet K&N 29.jpg
    Kleiner & Noe Series 29 with cap of the Dioscuri, star above, left and right on reverse, and small serpent below EΦΕ on left on reverse. Same dies as Plate XV coin 9 in Kleiner & Noe. (none found in ACSearch looking for Ephesos tetradrachm cap, Ephesos tetradrachm pileus, Ephesos tetradrachm series 29...)

21. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Thanks. Of course @dougsmit would have an article about him! Oddly my google search didn’t come up with this article.

@dougsmit are the coins attributed to Aureolus purely based on the assumption that he would have been declared Augustus by his troops when they were crudely minted in Milan? Or is there some other reason?

ominus1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted