2022 Retro GB Coinage

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Chris B, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I noticed earlier in the year that Heritage Auctions started selling these retro-looking slabbed precious metal coins. At first I thought they were kind of gimmicky and they were going for silly prices. As the year has gone on the prices have dropped some. They all have limited mintages and I see them listed on eBay for about double what Heritage has been selling them for. No idea how many have actually been sold.

Anyone, I have picked up a couple of my favorites and will get a few others when I find them at the price I want to pay. Both of these are 1 oz.

GB202205.jpg
    Mintage 610 - One is listed on eBay right now for almost $7K. That's almost triple what you can still buy from Heritage for. Crazy.

GB202205.jpg
    Mintage 2000 - APMEX is offering them for $427 ungraded. That is more than double what I paid for a graded one.

This always makes me ponder how the prices will hold up. In my mind, after everyone that wants one, has one, it will become a bullion coin. Well hopefully more people want them than what was minted.

Seattlite86 and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I am an avid collector of GB coins though mostly predecimal. They really have been making so many different types of coins these days that many of us have thrown in the towel and given up on them. I suspect true demand on a sustained basis is not very high. So collect them if you like but you may not have much company in doing so.

Mister T and norantyki like this.
  4. Chris B

I completely agree with you @7Jags They are still lagging way behind Canada in output. At least when you consider all the different products produced.

I have a few more coming my way. Trying to stick with the 1 oz silver pieces. The gold is just out of my normal budget. They are also making the silver ones in 2 and 5 oz but I'm probably going to stay away from those as well.

GB202215.jpg
    GB202225.jpg
    GB202235.jpg

Joshua Lemons likes this.
  5. Chris B

So, despite what I said, I ended up buying the 5oz and 10oz offerings so I have the complete set of silver. Henry VII coins.

GB202251.jpg

GB202241.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. Chris B

They have continued on for this year. Henry VIII is available now.

GB202305.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted