2022 Lincoln Shield Cent-Strike Through Plus Error on Reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rosalita, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hi guys,

I got this penny back in change a few days ago and noticed a strike through on the Obverse which I am assuming occurred from the rim burr on the right side rim. But what I was wondering is what is the error referred to as on the Reverse? Is this a referred to as just a die break? It looks like the die break wraps around the "O" in "One" on the Reverse.

DSCN0015-ccfoptA (Obverse).jpg DSCN0025-ccfoptA (Top Close Up Obv.).jpg DSCN0020-ccfoptA (TopCloseUpObv.2).jpg 1DSCN0030-ccfoptA (Rim BurrA).jpg
    3DSCN0035-ccfoptA (Rim Burr).jpg DSCN0051-ccfoptB (Reverse).jpg DSCN0001-ccfopt (1)a (Top CloseUp1).jpg DSCN0004-ccfopta (Top CloseUp2).jpg

alurid, PamR, paddyman98 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Spark1951 and Gorham_Collector like this.
  4. Gorham_Collector

Gorham_Collector Specializing in Shield Cents

Yea that is a strike thru on the front. Which came from the rim of the coin there that landed on the Planchet which u photographed. Rim burr I’ve found a few of these I usually keep the unique ones and big ones . Nice eyes ya got

Noah Worke and Rosalita like this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Rosalita and Gorham_Collector like this.
  6. potty dollar 1878

Not seeing it.

7. potty dollar 1878

Ok I get it,though it was just a plain(strike through)so they can be this far from the rim with no contact.

Gorham_Collector likes this.
  8. potty dollar 1878

Wait so that's what the rim anomaly is?the missing piece is on Lincoln's face.I have seen similar examples on coins but no missing piece. Though it was just damage from say a grinder to the side.

9. Gorham_Collector

Yea the ones I’ve found you can see the missing part of the rim matches up with the strike thru. Sometimes you’ll find the strike thrus without the missing piece of the rim that came from another coin

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Just my opinion, but other than PMD, you have a nice die crack. Nothing else.

LakeEffect likes this.
  11. potty dollar 1878

Ok good to know now I probably found a bunch of these but without the missing piece on the coin.Assumed just damaged and back into the roll.

12. Gorham_Collector

It’s very easy to tell the hit from another coin to the strike thru of a rim burr. Once youre able to notice the differences you can’t miss it

furryfrog02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted