2022 Daniel Carr Gold!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Mar 10, 2022.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I like the design, but not quite enough to shell out the cash. I did buy it in silver when he first released it.

I'm still not sure about strikes with a dollar denomination that aren't overstruck on US coins of an identical denomination. It seems like that's what brought down von NotHaus.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

He got brought down (ultimately over turned) for making a competing currency to the USD. They were literally intended to circulate and replace the USD

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Quite an awesome piece that's just 2 good.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You're right it brought him down but he must have had really good lawyers, he only got 6 months house arrest and served 1 year probation. :D

7. baseball21

Again that’s not what got him arrested. The pieces themselves are legal and we’re ordered returned to their owners. What took him down was he was trying to use them to create a new currency to replace the dollar and it was starting to work around where he was located. The second you try and create a competing/replacement currency the Secret Service is gonna throw the book at you

8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Yeah... couldn't afford the gold :( but... got 2 of the silver lol...
    asg_2022_34mm_Ag.jpg

Ronald J Dawley and fretboard like this.
  9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I’d pay bullion price for the gold piece . I just want to know why Mr. Carr has to copy some others designs . Part of art is coming up with a solid design . If he did this with a painting , where he steals the designs to make money . He’d catch hell from the other artists . But I guess it’s ok to steal the work of others on a coin . It’s simply not ethical . Imagine if it was music , he’d have to pay royalties to the original owner of the song . I don’t understand how he gets away with it !

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

11. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Let me know when the word "Copy" is on the pieces.

rzage likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There is no need to put "copy" on anything. These are fantasy pieces, and sold as fantasy pieces. End of story.

Cliff Reuter and MIGuy like this.
  13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Man , I really don’t know how he gets away with it . They are blatant copies of original coins . If it was a Chinese fake everyone would be complaining . I remember a lot of those posts with many of Mr. Carr’s admirers complaining why the government doesn’t stop the fakes . A lot had dates that were never made simply because the Chinese counterfeiters didn’t know any better .

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Hard to copy something doesn't exist in the first place.

15. baseball21

No they arent

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Last I looked this was still a free country. I am not a Carr fan but I don’t begrudge his ability to make a living striking attractive tokens. We don’t bash the Franklin mint here…. So please let’s not have another fifteen page Carr bashing thread.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I took the time to look his work up to see what he is doing. They're nice, but they are my taste. Of course, I have a limited list of things I like...my 11 grandchildren.
    To each, his own.

Cliff Reuter and MIGuy like this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

I think it was @C-B-D that started the DC thread. Seems that we still have folks around here that "don't agree to disagree.And yet the guy whi I have met still makes the same Fantasy that he did since day one.
    Who's still on business, forget all the opinions. DC has always made a quality token/ Medal.

Cliff Reuter, MIGuy and mrweaseluv like this.
  19. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

deadhorse.gif deadhorse2.gif deadhorse.gif deadhorse2.gif deadhorse.gif deadhorse2.gif deadhorse.gif deadhorse2.gif

20. Pickin and Grinin

21. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I’ve met and chatted with DC a couple of times, and he’s a really nice guy. There is no way his “St. Gaudins” pieces would be confused with the real thing. Prominent shield in the left-hand vs olive branch. And speaking of copying the real thing, the mint has done that with the gold eagle bullion coins and extremely high relief coin of 2009. Yes, the mint commissioned the original design, but the original hubs or dies weren’t used for the new coins. The modern coins are productions of modern folk, and the new coins have slightly different design elements. And it’s no problem at all to find bullion rounds by many private companies with the St. Gaudins’ design; it’s repeated endlessly.

That said, I’ve never bought a DC “coin” and probably never will. I prefer to put my money into coins issued by government-owned mints. And I’ll run out of money and time before my want list of those is filled.

Cal

Draft saved Draft deleted