2022 D Lincoln

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

So, this was the first one I have found in circ this year. They are out in the Mile High city! I spend only cash so new releases are always exciting to find as they come out. Finding UNC and Gem coins in your everyday transactions seem to be a thing of the past.

I took a couple of photos just to show the in-hand look and the actual surfaces the best I could.
    Under a loupe looking for contact and luster grazes. Die deterioration and spots and damage.
    upload_2022-1-27_18-59-54.jpeg
    upload_2022-1-27_19-0-17.jpeg
    Trying to capture the in-hand look is very difficult to do they have very deep dark looking surfaces in MS. I am still getting 2021D's that look like this.
    upload_2022-1-27_18-58-5.jpeg
    upload_2022-1-27_19-1-51.jpeg
    Hopefully the quarters dimes and nickels show up soon.
    @Kurisu have you found any yet?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Great find! I'm just starting to find 2021 coinage.

4. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Haven't seen any 2022 anything but have some fresh rolls for this weekend :)
    I'm also getting a couple rolls daily at my Credit Union just especially to find out when they get the Maya quarters...

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

6. Pickin and Grinin

You mind me asking what neck of the woods you are in? (region)

spirityoda likes this.
  7. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I'm 60 miles north of the D mint and it seems like it's always April or May before I see current year coins in circulation. I've been using a lot less cash over the past couple years though.

8. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

none here in ct, banks say the supply is dry no coins at the brinks or n e string coo.

9. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Found a couple quarters in change while at the ANA in Chicago. Found
    the dime, last 2021 just before Christmas.

Pickin and Grinin and john65999 like this.
  10. Peter M Black

Peter M Black Active Member

Sometimes, I wonder if banks just say that so we'll go away? Separate question - are 2022 mintage numbers known for coins from Philly and Denver?

john65999 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

They do, and so do business's that are too lazy to give change.

As for the mintage numbers. We won't know that till next year. Coins are produced as needed. So, the numbers will vary from year to year.
    Here is a website with some monthly totals from 2020 and part of 2021.
    https://www.atmia.com/cash-blog/us-...lion-coins-for-circulation-in-february/15655/

12. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

I'm about 6 miles from the Denver Mint...it's ALWAYS 6 months to a year before I start seeing the newest quarters. Usually new pennies, dimes, and nickels show up within a couple months. I have banks I've going to for decades so they let me know when they get the shiny Loomis rolls :woot:

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'm in the land of the lost and we were still using IHC, Buffalo nickels, and mercury dimes, until a couple of years ago, so finding a 2022 coin in change up here is like being able to take an ice machine to Hades.

tibor and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I never caught on to the shield cents, I've never liked them and don't collect them. Besides the design I can't get past all the water spots. :(

15. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I only got a few 2021 coins in circulation. Most stores have signs to have exact money or credit card sales only. I'm not a believer that the Mint is out of coins. I think stores and other business just don't want to take the time to get coins for cash registers or to minimize the time it takes to check out at the end of the business day. I went to a store to get a soft drink in a cup, ice, drink, and straw. It rang up to 89 cents. I didn't have any change and when I tried to give the cashier a dollar bill, she told me they don't make change anymore. I don't know if anyone else has heard that kind of garbage? I left the drink on the counter and walked out. Now it was their problem. I usually use that store to get gas with my VISA because I didn't want to deal with the employees and other customers.
    I have a difficult time understanding why they are refusing to make change. When I use my VISA instead of cash, they are charged 2%. One store charges $3.05 for gas and $3.09 for credit purchases.

16. Pickin and Grinin

I find them boring to search roll after roll, But don't mind looking at the ones I find in change. Yeah, the spots can be overwhelming at times. It all depends on the die state for me, If the coin has a lot of luster then the spots are usually minimal in most cases.

17. Pickin and Grinin

With all the horse trails and history. I would have a metal detector if I were you. Looking for old structures, old roads etc. Who knows you might even run across someone's stash spot.

18. Pickin and Grinin

Believe it or not the self-pay at King Soopers is a pretty good place to get new releases.

19. Pickin and Grinin

I usually atleast one roll from each denomination away each year.
    Of course, they have to be UNC. I don't tend to keep an AU unless it has exceptional eye appeal.

20. Pickin and Grinin

There was a coin shortage and I think that some business's have just adopted the exact change policy. It could also be a laziness, or the employees just aren't capable of keeping a balances register.
    I have seen this applied at some fast food, 7/11 and Little Caesars pizza. It is Sad Jim.

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

They are still zincolns, I can wait!

Draft saved Draft deleted