2022.. 9 coins the other site will laugh at..

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Two kids in college - what can you do? One in Law School the other wants to enter Law Enforcement. Will they become a Lawyer and a Police Officer (my own personal Law & Order!!... one arrests the murderer and the other puts 'em away?? .. dun dun!!?)

I freaking hope so - I don't know and neither do you. They may go completely different ways - but they have great support. They're good kids .. I love them and support them - so coins are a bit down the list.

As for my coins .. I really grabbed two grail coins this year that I am extremely happy to show. They're lower grade but important to me. The others are fun, interesting and would not make any Top lists of any note - but you know I only purchased 9 coins this year so if you want you can observe, point and laugh - well I'm your guy for that.

#1.. ya baby!! Finally!!
    upload_2022-12-28_1-37-47.png
    I did it! An OWL... it seemed an impossibility when I started collecting but the timing just worked out and a nice member here helped me out allowing a few installments.

#2:
    upload_2022-12-28_1-38-20.png

Lucius Verus, 161-169. Sestertius - a dream coin to me. Verus and Aurelius shaking hands on the reverse. 32 mm of Wow. She's hefty! This coin will never leave my possession.

Now we start going into the weeds..

Licinius I (GENIO POP ROM reverse from Trier) made into a pendant.

From the seller: the pendant itself is certainly an older style (maybe early to mid 20th century, or even earlier) and is firmly attached to the coin. An interesting piece. Coin is 21.6mm in diameter.
    From Me: That's an awful coin! - but someone made this into jewelry and must have loved it? I was cool with paying $18 for this. I've never owned anything like it.

upload_2022-12-28_1-51-42.png

Ant of Victorinus, Salus.
    Victorinus AD 286-270 or 269-271.
    Æ Antoninianus, 22mm, 3.5g, 12h. Cologne Mint.
    Obv.: IMP C VICTORINVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: SALVS AVG, Salus standing right, feeding serpent in her arms.

upload_2022-12-28_1-52-25.png

Spain, Jaime II of Aragon, 1291–1327 AD, dinero, Sariñena mint

upload_2022-12-28_1-52-55.png

KINGS of MACEDON. Philip III Arrhidaios. 323-317 BC.
    Æ Half Unit, 15mm, 3.3g, Miletos(?) mint.
    Struck under Asandros, circa 323-319 BC.
    Obv.: Macedonian shield with pellet on boss.
    Rev.: Crested Macedonian helmet; grain ear to lower left, K to lower right.

upload_2022-12-28_1-53-12.png

Nerva sestertius, Fortuna, RIC II 98

upload_2022-12-28_1-53-28.png

Kyme Aeolis Ae : Forepart of Horse / Vase

upload_2022-12-28_1-53-47.png
    Ionia, Smyrna, c. 75-50 BC. Æ - Pasikrates, Homer

upload_2022-12-28_1-54-6.png

2022 has been an enjoyable year and although my coin purchases have reduced significantly I have loved the journey and the small gains. Thanks for having a look and please enjoy 2023!!!

I know that most from that area will see my efforts as futile. Well I have really enjoyed the year and look forward to participating more in 2023.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I would never laugh at any ancient coin. Those you have shown here are, to me, a fantastic accumulation for the year. When you hold a coin with honest wear in your hand it can convey far more relevance to history than something struck and then hidden away for millenia. Thanks for sharing and happy collecting for 2023

4. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

I see nothing laughable in these coins. I like very much the little bronze of Smyrna with Homer on reverse!

Nicholas Molinari, tibor and expat like this.
  5. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Very respectable acquisitions!

Love the owl ;) and also that Lucius Verus sestertius - an iconic type!
    The Greek bronzes are also great, appealing patina on both. I'd say you did pretty well!

Nicholas Molinari, tibor and expat like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I think they are all nice collectable coins that would fit in my collection very well. If anyone is laughing, they would most certainly have laughing pain looking through my collection.
    I'm a sucker for coins from Kyme, and the owl is eye candy,

7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That’s a great Owl. And cool quirky Licinius.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  8. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

I do like your coins. I know what you mean about the college. One graduated with a degree in finance, and my youngest son graduating in Dec'23. I totally quit collecting for a few years, but it has been worth it.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  9. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Athènes 1.jpg
    L Verus HS.jpg
    my own specimens of the owl and the Lucius Verus sestertius...

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You do yourself a dis-service...be loud and be proud. Nice coins all.

expat likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

All I wanted was an owl...
    owl front.jpg owl back.jpg

ancient times, GinoLR, expat and 6 others like this.
  13. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

A lot of folks do not want a test cut on their owl. I don’t have an owl yet, but when I do get one, it will be with a test cut. It helps on the price. But I also think it’s a cool contextual marker reflecting concerns over the material culture of antiquity. That sounds a bit too fancy. But to me, the test cut speaks to some element of historicity.

14. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your coins, @Clavdivs! Your Lucius Verus sestertius is simply great! And that jewelry piece is very interesting.

I started law school 22 years ago, and finished in 2006. I respect that you put aside your own hobby for your sons. I cant imagine doing anything else for my kids. I hope your sons do well and enjoy their paths!

15. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Clavdivs, congrats on the two kids in college, and respect for the priority and coins shared. The Licinius with bangle is entertaining, and I like the Jaime II from a time period that has attracted my interest - this coin from a bit further east:
    upload_2022-12-29_5-55-8.png
    Best wishes for 2023!

expat likes this.
  16. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

I think your coins are great. They have a "history". If they could only talk....I love history, and I really like circulated coins. I think you have done very well acquiring coins this year. You've certainly done better than I have. But, I've had fun, and, as you said, you've "loved the journey". What else could you ask for? By the way, I would love to have an "owl", but I don't see that ever happening, and that's OK. I'm having fun anyway.

sand likes this.
  17. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Nice owls!

Those nine coins are really nice acquisitions. Congrats!

18. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Who would laugh at such coins?! I love the owls especially!

19. michas48

michas48 Active Member

Nice coins! I remember the feeling when finally my own owl arrived. so great!

20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nothing to laugh at I bet. Very interesting and diverse selection.
    I like the Lucius Verus, the macedonian shield and the forepart of a horse the most

Congrats !
    Q

Draft saved Draft deleted