2021 penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jim a baranak, May 11, 2021.

1. jim a baranak

jim a baranak Member

two questions does liberty look like MD or possibly doubled and on the reverse is this a die break or crack? i got a box from the bank yesterday and there all new 2021 only opened 2 rolls and every liberty has this look with the exception of maybe 4 just trying to figure it out thanks for any info. you may have. WIN_20210511_12_51_34_Pro.jpg WIN_20210511_12_51_21_Pro.jpg WIN_20210511_12_49_09_Pro.jpg WIN_20210511_12_48_41_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SamCoin

SamCoin Active Member

A doubled die on a single squeeze DDO would look like someone smeared the devices and they would be thicker/a different shape than usual. I see no evidence of a doubled die on this coin at least from the picture you provided (if there is any doubling, it would have to be extremely minor to not be visible). The thing on the reverse just appears to be what is called a "bag mark" - basically a ding left on the coin by the edge of another coin in the bags used to transport them at the mint. This is just damage and carries no premium. If it were a die crack, it would be raised, not incuse.

eddiespin and 1stSgt22 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. When a die strikes the blank planchet it does not crack it.. The explanation was given on the previous post

1stSgt22 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Pareidolia . :hilarious:

1stSgt22 likes this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Asked and answered above. As for the PMD . . . have you watched the video of the minting process? I am amazed that more coins aren't damaged because of the way they are handled.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@jim a baranak Jim, take a look at the 2014P & 2015 P cents on John Wexler's site at www.doubleddie.com to get a good idea at what modern doubling on cents would look like. I have found it hard to capture in pics. You will be looking specifically at "Liberty" & the designers initials on the reverse. These will appear as fat and have a slash to the letters. It can also appear on the date on the P coins. Same thing, fat with slashing at the bottom mostly.

Kevin Mader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted