2021 P Lincoln Cent Inquiry

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by aboarman, Sep 7, 2021.

1. aboarman

aboarman New Member

Curious...is this shadow lettering or nothing?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like just another Crappy Zincoln to me!

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

What's shadow doubling ? You mean Machine doubling ? I see none here . Sorry :(

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’m not seeing any doubling and I’ve never heard of shadow doubling. If there is any doubling it’s a zinc cent so chalk it up to NAV or No Added Value Doubling, which is very common on zinc cents.

6. aboarman

aboarman New Member

What is shadow doubling? I never wrote those two words together. Not my phrase to define. I asked about shadow lettering, like the W between GOD and WE, or the TT between WE and TRUST. There's more, but I'm just wasting my time I can see

7. SensibleSal66

@aboarman . Sorry for the mix up . :(
    Your not wasting time here. There's more experience here than anywhere else . I've been to 3 other forums and this is the utmost best there is hands down .:happy:
    Try again or game over, your choice my friend.

8. aboarman

aboarman New Member

I never said shadow doubling, and I didn't say doubling. I asked about shadow lettering. I guess so many people come along thinking they have the double die find of the year, you just kind of go on auto pilot and dismiss anything that doesn't fit into your scope. I am curious to understand how these odd letters appear on this coin. They neither appear to be doubles, nor do they appear to be typical of zinc cents. Apparently they don't appear at all to some folks.

9. aboarman

aboarman New Member

Just trying to get an answer. Not looking for doubling. I can clearly see letters that do not belong. Thanks

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. aboarman

aboarman New Member

Maybe my pics aren't showing them very well...

11. aboarman

aboarman New Member

Check these

Attached Files:

12. SensibleSal66

Okay my friend. I'm just trying to be nice here but I still just see staining . I can see a million things in the sky or on a floor tile but someone will just say that they are clouds . Pareidolia .
    Maybe someone else with more than 10 years of experience can chime in ?

aboarman likes this.
  13. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

That's when the coin is held at a specific angle towards the light source (sun, artificial lighting, etc.) and the letters cast their own shadow on the coin. Shadow doubling.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    aboarman likes this.
  14. SensibleSal66

Ohh ! @VistaCruiser69 . I've heard it called reflective doubling but couldn't find either anywhere.:(

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  15. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

'as struck' from used/worn dies.

...and maybe some stains.

There are no extra letters

16. aboarman

aboarman New Member

Thanks Fred, for answering my question, which was simply whether there are actual letters there or if it is nothing. A simple question deserves a simple answer lol

17. aboarman

aboarman New Member

I appreciate your input regardless. I have been trading Lincoln cents for a little over 40 years, so I do know a thing or two about them as well. That is why my inquiry did not mention doubling, because I'm well aware of that and other bonifide mint errors. This particular cent's stains perhaps occurred in conjunction with being next to other coins in a mint bag, causing the obviously post-strike letters to appear. I was curious to see what others who might have experience almost as extensive as my own might think and share. And so I have my answer and bid you good day. Thank you.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted