2021 - My Top 10 of Mainly Ancients (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, Nov 24, 2021.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

6. Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt

Cleopatra VII Thea Neotera Æ 21mm. Damascus, dated SE 280 = 33/2 BC. Diademed and draped bust of Cleopatra to right / Tyche seated to left on rock outcrop, extending hand and cradling cornucopia; LΠΣ (date) to left; below, river-god Chrysorrhoas swimming to right; all within laurel wreath. RPC I 4783; Svoronos 1893; SNG Copenhagen (Syria) 419; DCA 497; HGC 9, 1462. 9.07g, 21mm, 12h.

About Good Very Fine. Very Rare.

After seeing her portraits on these coins one starts to wonder if she really was as beautiful as they made her out to be. But then again she was an intelligent, young, rich and very powerful woman so ‘beauty’ is in the eye of the beholder.

Cleopatra Tyche Damascus mint2.jpg

7. BITHYNIA, Nicaea. Julius Caesar. Æ (22mm, 8.38 g, 11h). C. Vibius Pansa, proconsul. Dated CY 236 (47/6 BC).

The Earliest Portrait of Caesar to Appear on a Coin

Bare head of Caesar right; [NIKA]EΩN upward to left / Nike advancing right, holding palm frond in right hand, wreath in left; uncertain monograms to lower left and inner right, ςΛΣ (date) in exergue. Weiser, Nikaia –; RPC I 2026; RG 11; BMC 8-9; Triton XIX, lot 356. In NGC encapsulation 5770572-0057, graded VG, Strike: 4/5, Surface: 4/5.

Ex Leu Numismatik Web Auction 12 (30 May 2020), lot 828.

This type was the first anywhere to feature the portrait of Julius Caesar. C. Vibius Pansa was part of the Caesarian faction at Rome and probably owed his proconsulship to his patron. The only other definite lifetime portrait of Caesar from the provincial series was an issue of circa 45 BC at Lampsacus (RPC I 2268-2269). Both of these issues preceded the earliest appearance of his portrait at Rome, which was on the denarii of M. Mettius in January 44 BC.

Stumbled upon this by chance and had to add it to my collection for its uniqueness and historical significance.

Bithynia Nicaea Julius Caesar.jpg

8. Elizabeth II silver Proof "Una and the Lion" 1000 Pounds (2 Kilos) 2019 PR70 Ultra Cameo

KM-Unl. 150mm. 2,010gm. Mintage: 40. Of immense scale, bold in appearance, and wholly beautiful, this large silver issue, measuring approximately 150mm in diameter, was struck to commemorate the original masterpiece by William Wyon: the 1839 "Una and the Lion" 5 Pounds issued in Queen Victoria's coronation Proof set. The design is widely considered to be one of the most beautiful in all of numismatic history, and since its original issuance, it has entranced collectors the world over. Even today, over 180 years later, it remains one of the most popular world coin types in existence-- a fact that undoubtedly served as the impetus for the Royal Mint to bring Wyon's most famous work of numismatic art back to life in the modern era. The majestic scale of this 2 kilogram offering allows for an expression of detail that was impossible in his day, and yet further, it saw perfect handling, both at the mint itself and after leaving the mint, rendering this a flawless specimen, certified accordingly. A rich blanket of icy frost decorates the devices, contrasting against mirrored fields to achieve a spectacular cameo effect. We note that this particular piece is designated number 5 of only 40 struck. It is housed in an oversized NGC holder that comes with the original case of issue and COA #5.

I just couldn’t resist slipping this one in, even at the risk of retribution.
    2019 Una 2 kg. Obv.jpg
    2019 Una 2 kg. Rev.jpg

9. Great Britain 1847 Silver Crown UNDECIMO Edge S-3882 ANACS Proof-61 (Toned)

Arguably one of the most beautiful coins ever struck by The Royal Mint, these were never intended for circulation but rather as gifts in Christmas stockings. Indiscriminate handling over the years meant that very few manage to secure a Cameo designation and therefore, carry a very hefty price tag. I’m well pleased that I could add this example to the rare pure silver smooth edge version I bought a few years ago.

1847 Gothic Crown Obv MS61.jpg
    1847 Gothic Crown Rev MS61.jpg

10. Ancient Roman Republic, Anonymous Moneyer c.211-208 B.C. AR Victoriatus (3.09gms) Luceria Mint NGC MS★ Fine Style AND

Ancient Roman Republic, Anonymous Moneyer c.211-208 B.C. AR Victoriatus Apulia Mint NGC MS Fine Style

Cr-97/1b; Syd-121 AND Cr-102/1; Syd-115

Laureate head of Jupiter right; Reverse: Victory erecting trophy of arms to right, L between.

Laureate head of Jupiter right; Reverse: Victory at left erecting trophy of arms at right, Q between.

Anonymous Victoriatus Obv L.jpg

Anonymous Victoriatus Rev L.jpg

Anonymous Victoriatus Obv Q.jpg

Anonymous Victoriatus Rev Q.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

All wonderful. As a former British coin collector, as I was scrolling down and saw the title Una and the Lion, I thought for a moment you had bought an original. Now, that would be something! Although the 2019 version is pretty great too, especially the reverse. (I'm not sure the giant portrait of an ancient Liz has quite the same appeal as Young Victoria!) I also love your Gothic Crown. I used to have one in similar condition as part of my (not quite complete!) type collection of British silver crowns going back to Charles II, and deeply regret being in circumstances a number of years ago requiring me to sell it, along with most of the others.

The Julius Caesar is amazing.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  4. Di Nomos

Di Nomos Well-Known Member

If I didn't collect ancients, would be collecting English coins, particularly Charles I and English Civil War issues. Plus would love a collection of English Crowns.

Your Gothic crown is a beauty. If I had the money would pursue both interests.

I see Donna above already did that. Shame you had to sell, would love to have seen your collection.

1934 Wreath Crown and DonnaML like this.
  5. 1934 Wreath Crown

Hahaha, Donna I'll have to buy a six shooter and find a very rich bank for that;).

But I do have my sights (pun intended) set on it hopefully, in the not too distant future. Those cost six figure sums even in an impaired proof condition. A repaired example recently sold for a shade under 200,000. I did manage to get a 2019 Alderney (Una) issue in gold 2+ oz. and a matte 1 kilo in silver PF70 as well. These have all proven to be instant classics but I wish they had used the 2nd portrait of QE II though.

Sorry you had to sell your GB coins. I'm also juggling my collection at the moment but hope to have my situation sorted out soon. I try to look at the positive side of every situation and see it as an opportunity to keep the hobby and the excitement of the hunt alive. Sold my Ptolemy II gold mnaieion (Octodrachm) recently. It hurt, but then it allowed me to buy the 2 staters this year.

DonnaML likes this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I like to collect the decimal coins of Britain myself, and will admit to being surprised to see the 2Kilo coin (I could never imagine buying one of those). How does the size of that compare to a crown or 50p?

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I have of course a soft spot for the Victoria gothic crown. Someday, maybe, I will jump from the florin to the crown...

The Julius Caesar portrait is very interesting

Q

8. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Your Julius Caesar coin, and the Victoria Crown are my favorites.

9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

1934 W. Crown, Your MS* victoriatus is my favorite, followed by the Gothic crown :happy:. I've seen a number of the modern remakes of the "Una & the Lion" sell for big money at the weekly Great Collections auctions, they are very popular ;).

10. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Wonderful selections all! Though not ancient, the gothic crown and una piece are both very impressive. I would have to say both Victoriatus are my favorites. You had a great year!

11. 1934 Wreath Crown

Thanks everyone. The 2 kg. is large, very large. I seldom have all my coins shipped to me because I have to pay VAT and customs duties which add quite a bit to the cost. The auction houses are kind to me and don't mind holding on to the coins. So I prefer to wait for an opportunity when I can accumulate a reasonable value and then have them collected in person.

The Victoria Gothic Crown has been on my list for a while now but they've been going up in price almost every week.

Al, then you know what certificate #7 sold for. I guess I did pretty well on my purchase. Also bought a raw 1 kilo matte which graded PF70. I'm now thinking of submitting the gold one for grading. Keeping my fingers crossed.;)

12. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Your Julius Caesar is absolutely one of a kind. Amazing!

I asked in another thread if someone could show a coin of this type. Now I know how it looks like. Thank you so much for sharing.:)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted