2021 Morgan Silver Dollars!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

That would be cool ...

3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds like another overpriced coin but I'll probably buy one.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Terrifrompa likes this.
  5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I think it's a piece of stupid hoo-haw designed to separate suckers from their money.

Celebrating the centennial of a design change over is a stretch to begin with. The Peace Dollar has bupkis to do with Carson City (the mint closed in 1899 but was an assay office until 1933 - don't see 1921 in there at all).

The program has to cover costs before the surcharge starts to pay off - shipping a press from SF/Denver, setting it up in Carson City (site prep too) and shipping it back is going to cost a pretty penny.

6. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

It all depend on if they use the same design as the Morgan dollar or not. I might get it if the price is right and also that design. If they use what is now these days from all those crap design, then no way. Many of the coins now are so ugly and no talent designers.

7. Lets not stop at a CC dollar lets make a whole mint and proof set with the CC mint mark. Lets even release some CC quarters into circulation in 2021.

8. Collecting Nut

Please, do not give the Mint failing ideas for them to act on.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not by a significant amount when it is spread over 500,000 coins. If the shipping costs $20,000 that comes to 4 cents per coin. $20,000 each way, 8 cents per coin. On a coin they are going to charge $50+ on, it doesn't amount to much of anything.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably couldn't do that without restoring Mint status to the CC mint which would be a bit difficult since the government doesn't own the building anymore.

Come to think of it, since the CC mint doesn't exist anymore as a government facility, the CC "mintmark" on a 2021 Morgan is questionable as well. A "mintmark for a mint that doesn't exist.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  11. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I am going to start saving now. Ha. Especially if they decide to do gold versions for some reason...

12. Collecting Nut

Does the Mint really need to open the Carson City Mint to produce coins with the CC mintmark? I think they could Mint them anywhere they desire and put the CC mintmark on them. This is a different day and age in which we live in.

13. Burton Strauss III

The law requires that coins be marked to show the mint...

31 U.S.C. § 5132
    (a)(2)(B)(ii)  all coins minted under this paragraph shall have a mint mark indicating the place of manufacture.

14. This is great news for me. I had been hoping for over a year now that the mint would put a set for the transition of the 1921 silver dollars and I'm glad they are not gold like the mercs. I do wounder if they will use .999 silver or .90. At any rate I can't wait to see them with my Morgan and Peace collections.

15. Collecting Nut

And all congress has to do is pass a law for this coin only , then it can be minted at any Mint. I for one would not put it pass congress to do this.

16. Burton Strauss III

Terrifrompa likes this.
  17. Terrifrompa

Terrifrompa Member

Richard Metcalf likes this.
  18. Love those Peace dollars. Got my fingers crossed. Hope the bill goes through and I hope they limit it to silver. The gold merc, and Libertys were a disappointment for me. An over priced ho hum when I opened them.

19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

20. Did you like the gold dime, quarter, and half set? Hope I can afford a full set of gold coins if that is there metal of choice. Gold is likely going to be much higher in 2021. Not that silver won't also.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted