2021 HR Peace dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dima, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I can't imagine anyone wanting to start coin collecting in this environment. The public is so blind. Coins bought from the mint or from a dealer for a premium start losing value the minute you get them. They are hot for a short time then the mint comes up with another gimmick. Look at the Red Book and see that so many are not worth what the mint sold them for. 30 million collectors and the mint produces 20,000 copies of a coin. I don't consider them real coins that belong to any given set.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The bill passed the house. It's not a done deal. The Senate has a slightly different version (section 8 related to PAYGO is only in the house version), which was released to committee.

The senate committee needs to either pass their bill, or amend it to match the house version. Then is needs to pass the committee vote and then the full senate needs to vote.

If they pass the senate version not the house version, then it would need to go to a conference committee to resolve the differences, and be re-voted on in one or both chambers.

Only then does it go for presidential approval.

If you care, CALL or FAX your senators (don't email).

LA_Geezer likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

While I am against reusing designs and think issuing such things as I think it's lazy and know we can do better, the best thing for the hobby is to have a wide range of things where everyone can enjoy what they want. It would also be good for the hobby if people stopped trying to act like they're protecting it or it needs to be some elite closed club because they don't like something. If someone doesn't like an offering move on and ignore it, there will be people that get joy from it.

Virginian and Ike Skywalker like this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Well, the British Royal Mint at least stepped up to the plate and commemorated the event.

6. baseball21

Sadly that wasn't one of their best efforts. I had a lot of excitement for that one and was very disappointed seeing the final product.

7. Burton Strauss III

The Royal Mint would commemorate the renewal of a magazine subscription.

Of course the Royal Canadian Mint would commemorate that somebody filled in one of those stupid blowin cards....

Sasquatch likes this.
  8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

And, your statement is not an attempt by you to "protect the hobby"?

9. baseball21

My statement is to let people enjoy what they want to enjoy. If you don't like something ignore it, it's really easy for collectors to do that and let the people that enjoy such things enjoy them. You have the option to ignore things, they can't just magically make something appear if they wish it was there

10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

How can it be "sold out?" It's not even law yet.

11. Burton Strauss III

Whacknoodle has to be talking about the Palladium coin which is not the subject of this thread.

Virginian likes this.
  12. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

A waste of money and good silver.

13. pomyluy

pomyluy Member

No more or less than the vast majority of modern US commemoratives, then. And at least the reverses of the Old Mint commems were taken from classic US coins, so they look pretty good to me.

Virginian likes this.
  14. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

A set with each of the different reverses might be interesting. Weren't there about 4 minor and 1 major revision during the Morgan dollar's run?

Anthony Mazza and pomyluy like this.
  15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

My comment was meant as a joke and nothing more...but, I certainly do hope the coin is made and do hope the mint can produce the original "hand cut" look of classic Morgan Dollars and not their typical c n c computer designs of today, such as the rev. on the S F Old Mint commem.

Dima and LA_Geezer like this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

carnac-tablet.png

chascat likes this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Finally ...the mint taking Danial Carr head on.... devil.gif

john65999, Chiefbullsit and chascat like this.
  18. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. THIS. I’m so weary of the Debbie Downer attitude about every blasted US Mint product under the sun. As I stated on another forum, the Mint will continue to produce silver coins until the end of human history, so they might as well reissue the Morgan and Peace designs while I’m still alive.

19. Burton Strauss III

BTW, the act says

There is nothing preventing a 2022, 2023, ... issuance

20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

If it does all happen, then will the coins be of silver dollar size and will they be of 90% or the new standard of .999? I just can't envision the strike as being a copy of the original design specs.

21. Dima

Dima Member

A few comments touched on mintage figures and artificial rarities. I think there's definitely a happy medium. On the one end is the insanely low mintage of say the V75 2020 gold eagles (1,945) vs. something like the 2001 Buffalo dollar. The 2001 $1 had great demand and a relatively attainable mintage of 500,000.

I believe - and this is based on my opinion without concrete data to back up my claim - that the issue isn't necessarily mintage, but dealer bots buying up the full inventory the second a new shiny coin becomes available. Referring to previous example again, I don't truly don't mind if the 1,945 V75 eagles go to 1,945 mom & pop collectors; instead of the reality that all ~2k will get sold out to ~5-10 dealers/bots instantaneously.

If the '21 Peace/Morgans get minted, regardless of anything else, I hope the US Mint does a careful job distributing them first/primarily to collectors before offering them to dealers in bulk.

Draft saved Draft deleted