2021 FUN Show is cancelled.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Dec 4, 2020.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm reasonably certain there wasn't any "kind of forced" to it. Just yesterday Orange County announced that any business not following the new restrictions could be fined up to $15,000 a day.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

We’re at 10K dead in 4 days and people want to go to a coin show? Getting on an airplane is just as stupid. 2 stupid things don’t make either right.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    brg5658 likes this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It seems that Orlando has become a “hot spot” and cases are up, which is not surprising given its tourist draw. You are also dealing with an older clientele which is more vulnerable. It was better to cancel now and cut their losses.

As the treasurer of a local club, I can tell you that these are tough times. We have no money coming in, but some money continues to flow out. I am sure that FUN is facing similar issues. No fundraisers, like shows, only some money from dues, if people pay them.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Tourist draw? I was there and it was completely deserted. edited The US added over 1 Million new cases in just 5 days! Hospitals are full or nearly full and in a week these numbers will look small in comparison.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2020
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Just a tip, next time edited make sure your pictures don't have dates from several months ago

C-B-D likes this.
  7. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

It hasn’t gotten more crowded since. I’m there monthly for business and don’t take pictures of myself.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Hahhahahahah I got edited for saying nothing even remotely political. WOW

Fess up who was it that's upset

didn't realize saying something like politically motivated posts is now edited material

slackaction1 likes this.
  9. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Hope I didn’t cause that. I was there for a month vaca mid June - July 15th. Then again in mid October, late September with no plans to go back until March.

10. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Note: I'm a travel agent who just flew on Delta to Orlando for a Disney inspection last month.

Air travel is pretty safe. On Delta middle seats are blocked, the cabin is sanitized between flights, everyone gets a small packet of Purell when boarding, water and snacks are provided in a zip lock bag along with a sanitizer wipe if you want to wipe down your seat. And everyone is required to wear a mask on flight which you can take off only for eating and drinking. Other airlines procedures are similar.

At Disney everyone is required to mask up, lines are set up where you are able to stay six feet away, and rides are shut down for cleaning. I felt safer at Disney than I do at home in South Dakota.

Also some destinations such as Hawaii and Jamaica require a negative COVID test 3-10 days prior to travel.

Per the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html#:~:text=Most viruses and other germs,getting COVID-19.

Most viruses and other germs do not spread easily on flights because of how air is circulated and filtered on airplanes.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    GoldFinger1969 and Chris B like this.
  11. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

My coin club is hosting the SD state show in March in conjunction with our annual show. As of right now we are still planning to have it. We do have a bigger room than last years, we are planning to have masks and sanitizer at the door. Whether or not we will enforce mask wearing remains to be seem. This is South Dakota and masks are a touchy subject here plus our so called Governor mocks mask wearing.

North Dakotas state show was canceled last month too.

12. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

You left out the However....
    Air travel
    Most viruses and other germs do not spread easily on flights because of how air is circulated and filtered on airplanes. However, social distancing is difficult on crowded flights and sitting within 6 feet of others, sometimes for hours, may increase your risk of getting COVID-19.

Everyone’s risk tolerance differs, but air travel is not for me. I’d also question the air filtration. They probably claim maintenance but we once pulled a massive dirt pile out of a data master machine during trial that also was just cleaned.

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

As an aerospace engineer with familiarity with aircraft cabin environmental systems, there is merit to the claim. It isn’t filtration as much as cycling. On most jets, air is fed into the cabin through the engines (on a couple others it is ram air from outside). This is a constant feed, so there is constantly air being let out of the cabin. This means the air in the cabin is quickly expunged and replaced with new air.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I always thought there was too much air to be filtered for hepa filters to take care of it.

15. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

Hopefully the Houston Coin Show is still on. If it is I will be there. If your afraid stay home. Ive been all over the country in the last 6 months and people are tired of the Fake News and Fake numbers on the news every night. Sure Covid-19 is out there just be careful

Draft saved Draft deleted