2021 American Liberty

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Oct 19, 2019.

1. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

That is one bucking ugly coin, emphasis on bucking. Reminds me of the same dilemma with the basketball coin awhile back.

4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It seems you missed my post :)

USS656 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

You are wrong, I saw it but just forgot about it when I made the comment. Sorry! Still not a very good showing. Sometimes I wish I could work with an artist to see what I could come up with. Might be humbling. ;)

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I can neither draw nor engrave. But my taste goes to coins that are engraved and not a duplication of a drawing.

7. USS656

I would think most coins going back to the beginning of coins start as a sketch at a minimum before the artist starts to engrave. I would be shocked to hear that any of our coins in the US started as an engraving first. Maybe I am missing something in your comment?

Chuck_A likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Maybe I am just viewing this from a jaded perspective. I want and expect to see a glorious image of Lady Liberty or the strong bust of one of our nations leaders. But then I am an old guy..... Perhaps this image may be appealing to a younger generation? I don’t know. Just wondering.

Chuck_A likes this.
  9. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Horrible. Bucking Horse? Good grief.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The idea of the image wasn't awful just the final decision. It's pretentious and poorly chosen at best. Essentially no one looks at the strange flying saddle and says yes that's the USA bucking off British rule as claimed in the article.

Tip of the hat to the poor marketing team having to come up with such an allegory for a back story, but another uninspiring design by the CCAC

Chuck_A and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’ll cut to the chase. The finished product doesn’t look like a drawing.

USS656 likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Losing my contributions won't hurt them a bit. But, it makes me feel better. There hasn't been a rational coin program out of the mint in decades.

Chuck_A likes this.
  13. USS656

That I can understand, appreciate cutting to the chase! Metal gives a dimension, feel, reaction that a drawing will always have a hard time comparing to. One of the reasons I love steel engraved vignettes as much as I do. With the laser engraving of dies that is done now I think we push too close to the duplication and the loss of artistic interpretation that transfers well to struck coins.

14. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Wow is all I can say. All 34 design submissions SUCK to put it bluntly. The mint just can’t get it right no matter how they try. I’ve seen more artistic Hobo nickels.

Reed.

Chuck_A and Mainebill like this.
  15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

How about they go back to pics of lady liberty. Better yet make her proportioned about like Anna Nicole Smith and I’d love the designs lol

BuffaloHunter and Razz like this.
  16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

ANS with a SLQ design...variety 1 of course!:wideyed:

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Love it. Or the walking liberty or the draped bust design. Though Anna Willing Bingham was quite busty herself

Razz likes this.
  18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Where do I place my vote for this design?

Mainebill and Razz like this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think the concept/symbology may be OK, but I think the execution is lacking. And if they really want to stick to the narrative of "throwing off the British" they need to make it an English ridding saddle, not a western saddle. The western saddle was a saddle of the workers/people. This shows "Liberty" throwing off the working people.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  20. chucktee

chucktee Member

Considered on its own, I don't dislike it. As a representation of Liberty, it's a big miss. And I definitely won't be paying what the Mint will want for that piece of metal.

Chuck_A likes this.
  21. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Well let’s take a look at some of the other submissions shall we. There are more but this is a good sample of the junk we could have had!

Reed.
    379F36C6-D8D0-4C6E-BE73-90BCA856348C.png 24351750-1DCB-45AA-B714-D7A818FF58CB.png 468F8904-A63B-4910-90DA-77611B65FA43.png 2D006596-ECD7-4C9E-AA82-D4E5FEB1BBB6.png 42C9B507-E34C-4F75-96E7-A9A77CFB0FC8.png

Draft saved Draft deleted