2020w V75 Salt Bay National Park Quarter 25c NGC MS68 asking $7000.00

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by john65999, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Sorry for the multi-entries, but I keep a copy of all the schedules of coins being sold and I don't see quarter that has a V75 listed. Were they made by someone other than the Mint? Were they a "special" release that is not listed on the Mint's Schedule. The only V75's I can find are the ones that are on the "End of World War 11 75th Anniversary American Eagle Gold Proof Coin, Product ID: 20XE, Minted at: West Point, and the "End of World War 11 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof Coin, Product ID: 20XF, Minted at West Point Mint.
    Was there a special release that I wasn't aware of?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Flackthat

Flackthat Member

But it did sell for 19k....

4. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

I buy coins with the decimal point moved quite a bit further to the left so seeing those prices especially on a modern coin is bonkers to me. I suppose he is selling them for some crazy amounts, I guess list high and expect "low" offers.

I dunno why but when I see stuff like that the first thing I wonder is - are these counterfeit.....I'm a skeptic at heart.

5. Jeepfreak81

According to this - https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/privy-marks-on-coins

The America the beautiful coins were the first to be released with the V75 privy mark

6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I would keep them for your heirs. If they are worth that much now just think of the millions they would get. They would also be grateful that you are gone! Good luck.

7. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I see where there is an article about "Privy Marks", but I don't remember them going on sale. After a great deal of search, I finally found that Privy Marks were on "W" coins. As I have not even seen a quarter with a "W", I guess that leaves me out in the cold. Anyway, I feel this is one more way the Mint has cut short the "average" collector. Living in a small town and only purchase with a check, draft, or Credit Card, there is no way that I would get a quarter with a "W" mintmark with the "Privy". Again, I feel cheated.

Jeepfreak81 likes this.
  8. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

yeh, went for darn near 20k at offer, so still remarkable!!!, highest i have seen is 100k and that is for an ms-68 error

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  9. Jeepfreak81

Ya I skimmed it and looks like they were mixed in with P & D mints and released into the wild. I also rarely pay with cash. I wouldn't mind happening across a couple of these maybe I'll pick up a few rolls from the bank and see if I get lucky.

10. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

will not spend more than 200 for any of em, and at that price you guys think i am nuts, lol

Kevin Baker likes this.
  11. Theborer

Theborer Well-Known Member

12. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

I see very rare pieces and some not so rare. I also see NO sales to validate any of these prices, offers or sales. If you look at historical sales of some coins, 2008 thru 2015 were highest and very weird, however, these high prices paid have since come down and people lost lots of equity and money.

In the above cases the same will be true. In my experience, people pay astronomical prices for two reasons: 1) they listen to hype and people inflating the value artificially; 2) they have no knowledge of coins and want the coin and pay whatever to get it.

Everyone be careful and watch out so you don't hit one of these categories one day. For those that do, sorry for your loss.

13. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

In a year or two the coin value will stabilize to around $2K and he will lose greatly. His unicorn will turn into a donkey with a birthday hat glued to his forehead.

Flackthat, Andrew Snovell and green18 like this.
  14. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

I guess he can ask whatever he wants!

15. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

They only did it in 2019 and 2020. It was advertised and discussed. It was a mint directive. The westpoint mint created 2 million of each of the ATB quarter types in 2019 and 2020 with the V75 privy on the left and the rare W mintmark since they don't normally issue coins for circulation. These quarters were randomly dumped into circulation and people were encouraged to find them. Some got plucked out early. Some are still circulating now. So unless a hoard is found untouched somewhere, there's not likely to be too many more MS68s found anymore. Or MS66s for that matter.
    I found a circulated one in change last summer and saved it. They're worth about $10 in circulated condition. I just paid $100 for a MS-66 for my registry set. I wanted the Kansas one. I would've liked a MS-67 but didn't feel it was worth the $600 to $700 to get one. $100 was worth it given the population of 66s. About 1k. Somebody paid $30 just to get it graded.

16. Vess1

If you guys think this is crazy, the sports cards market is bonkers too. I was watching a Drew Brees autographed patch card from 2014 on ebay for over a week. It was numbered 7 of 10 from a brand that sell a small pack of cards in a small briefcase for $4-$5k. But the point is, Brees is retired, there are many, many really nice autographed Brees game used patch cards out there. I have one from 2011 5 star that I gave $170 for. Would cost $600 now.
    But this particular one was graded 10 in a PSA slab. 1 of 1 in THAT grade for that series for that 2014 Flawless (brand).

There were 107 people watching it. 58 bids. It was bid up to $1500. At the end of the auction it was bid up to over $4k. There's more people with money to burn out there than we realize. This is just one tiny instance of what's going on. People are spending 5 figures now for specific wax boxes with a few unknown game used jersey and special autographed cards. You might open the box and get $500 worth of cards or hit it big. The high end wax boxes are like scratch tickets that cost as much as cars. It's lunacy.

17. Vess1

Oh, also for the 2020 Ws at least for now, some are rarer than others for whatever reason. It seems that the Rockefeller, the one with the kid planting the tree is the rarest, followed by the Tallgrass prairie. The others have had twice as many graded or more.

18. Theborer

Theborer Well-Known Member

19. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

Many believe the reason for the low counts on a few is due to the distribution schedule and areas and whether the rolls were broken in some areas too. It is suspected some people were hoarding the rolls and not seeking Grading. Just an observation.

Theborer likes this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

<record scratch>

Wait, where are you retrieving actual BO sale prices? I haven't been able to find them since eBay broke Watchcount's method.

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I have two 2020 W V75's and two 2019's. All are in uncirculated condition. Beautiful coins. One pair for each granddaughter, when I'm gone of course. Thanks for the post.

Theborer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted