2020D Dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by PamR, May 11, 2021.

1. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Hopefully you can see what I meant about the washing out of the photo with the wrong backing. I usually play with the colors until I get it right. Different color backing for a nickel/dime than for a brown cent. Have some fun with it. You'll note that those photos were taken with an iPhone 5 with a weak camera relative to modern phones. But it's a fun challenge!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

4. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

86DA86B4-6E1B-4DAB-B245-74EF938EF33F.jpeg
    I don’t have color paper. Will get some.

capthank and Kevin Mader like this.
  5. PamR

And as you can see I’m all over the place. Thanks for info. Some may not be as patient. Lol

6. Kevin Mader

I found an inexpensive source (a.k.a. Walmart). I buy their brand since it has a better matte finish which keeps the reflective nature of other brands (post-its) a way from my fine prints!! LOL Actually, if you notice, the texture of your background might be causing some of your focus problems. Also, you can soften your lighting with a white plastic bag from the grocery store. There are a few things that you can try. I'm playing with an old shoebox for a photobox setup. I'll show that at some point.

PamR likes this.
  7. Kevin Mader

Here's my IZOD photobox setup -

shoeboxphotosu1.jpg shoeboxphotosu2.jpg

8. PamR

Very cool. Yes I think I put too much lighting and my lamps make the coins have a yellow tint. Thank you. I will take a pic of it. Thanks again.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  9. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

10. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

11. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

A completely black background has always worked well for me when taking very close-up pix of coins with my cell phone. Perhaps because the cell phone "sees" just the coin and only tries to focus just on it, not anything around the coin.

PamR likes this.
  12. PamR

That was my fault. Sorry

13. PamR

That’s what I usually do. But tried white at times too. Ty.

14. Kevin Mader

Not really. I change out the backing color relative to a particular coin. As noted, black works well and is my normal default as it absorbs extra light bouncing around. My black backing is also my mouse pad, and at present, buried under coins....so...a blue post-it was used, primarily to demonstrate the difference in using a chartreuse background and another color (blue in this case). But I will use blue when it's not upsetting the camera's autofocus.

capthank and PamR like this.
  15. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted