2020-W Quarters

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by furryfrog02, Jan 17, 2020.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Thanks furry. I love those Capital plastic holders. When I bought it, I was thinking that I’ll just flip the white holder over. But you can obviously still read it through the clear plastic back. Doh! Hence the need for my weak attempt at some new labels.
    Dont worry, my kids were eager to call me out lol

Islander80-83 and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

FF- Where did you pick up those holders?

4. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

ripple and Islander80-83 like this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Wizard coin supply. They are cheap but the shipping cost more than the 7 holders :rage::mad:

ripple and Islander80-83 like this.
  6. Islander80-83

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

When's the last time you found a well-worn clad quarter of any date past the 1970s?

I used to think that the dearth of well-worn clad coins was just because they were so much harder than silver. But that clad layer is the exact same composition as a nickel, and we've all seen plenty of worn-slick nickels.

I think we may never see well-worn coins from the current era, except for those intentionally worn down or damaged. Coins just don't work as hard as they used to, and they'll see even less use in the future.

8. Islander80-83

Surprise!

The quarter is damaged with all those hits but are these intentionally worn down and damaged or natural circulation wear? Pocket pieces?........I don't know but I found them in circulation. All clad.

S20180531_001-ccfopt.jpg
    S20180531_002-ccfopt.jpg
    S20190118_001-ccfopt.jpg
    S20190118_002-ccfopt.jpg
    20181215_S20181215_014-ccfopt.jpg
    20181215_S20181215_015-ccfopt.jpg

-jeffB likes this.
  9. -jeffB

Impressive! I've never seen even a 1965 quarter that worn.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  10. Islander80-83

I wish I knew if they were all definite damage or any outside chance that they were possible test pieces from the mint, struck thru's, etc......

11. -jeffB

Have you weighed them?

12. Islander80-83

No, I haven't actually. You think I should?

13. -jeffB

I'd be curious about weight. On Barber coins I've weighed that were that slick, the weight loss has been pretty substantial. But if they're light, I wouldn't know how to tell whether they lost the weight from wear or whether there was something wrong with the planchet at strike time.

I am a bit surprised that that second half doesn't have any copper showing around the edge on either face. It looks like the cladding would have worn through at least at the very edge. I know a lot of what we call "wear" is actually metal getting hammered down rather than worn off, but again, coins do eventually lose metal as they wear down.

Islander80-83 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted