2020-W Jefferson Nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LakeEffect, Jan 11, 2020.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Coin World is reporting that all 2020 uncirculated sets, proof sets and silver proof sets will be accompanied by a Jefferson nickel struck at West Point in one of three different finishes.

In 2019, the mint successfully boosted sales with a similar program using Lincoln cents. This year, it will be nickels.

I will buy my usual silver proof set. The bonus nickel will go into storage along with it, like the Lincoln did last year.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I read the email from CW a few minutes ago......I like the idea but it will (the actions of the mint) most likely amount to stone throwing and name calling by the general public here.......

LakeEffect likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

NO! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You get the award for my hardiest laugh of the decade..... And we are ten days in.

LakeEffect likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

I will wear that award with pride.
    But in all honesty, how far away are we from the US Mint making glow in the dark super hero coins and all that crap that the RCM makes? Or what about the Somalia guitar coins or the garbage Niue pumps out every year. The US mint is not too far off from these places.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I know you are right.

8. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

The creepy part is it means another reverse proof Jefferson. Nightmares, I tell ya. That new design does NOT look good in reverse proof.

-jeffB and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. furryfrog02

It doesn't look good. Period. Full stop. It is an ugly design.

Randy Abercrombie and LakeEffect like this.
  10. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

On an unrelated topic, does anyone know what they are doing with the West Point quarter idea?

11. furryfrog02

I hope it was a one and done. No more.

12. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

Yeah, an artificial semi-key date so they can sell more isn't too fun, is it?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

NOTHING looks good in reverse proof.

IMHO, of course

LakeEffect likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

The 2019S ASE Enhanced Reverse Proof looks good.

15. furryfrog02

Nope.

16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

17. -jeffB

18. -jeffB

I think for many people that opinion has something to do with its $60-odd issue price and its $1000+ market price. It's a bit like beer-goggles.

(I do like the "enhanced" treatments. But once you've done the contemporary laser-pockmarking across entire fields of the coin, it's going to be really hard to recover.)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  19. furryfrog02

Eh, I never bought an enhanced reverse proof before but I really do like the 2019s. Is it worth $1000+? Absolutely not. But it is a pretty coin. Even my wife, who very rarely comments on coins, said she thought it was beautiful when I showed her. That is saying something :)

green18 likes this.
  20. green18

It's an acquired taste....much like scotch. :)

21. green18

And for you guys throwing rocks, tomatoes, cabbages and hams? I just like the collection aspect. Most folks around these parts miss the collecting aspect and only concentrate on the 'make money' aspect. Something to add to the 'stable' that will gain in value over the passage of time. God awful, my kids are going to be ever disappointed when they cash my meager holdings in......

But I didn't collect for them. I collected for me. Allow an old sole to have his enjoyment......

Paul_62, LakeEffect and Cheech9712 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted