2020 Silver Proof Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by thomas mozzillo, Apr 12, 2020.

?

Will they sell out on the first day?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    95.0%
  1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Pathetic, unathletic........

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ernie11

ernie11 Member

Latest figures have the sales at 183,456. Out of the circa 190,000 they have available. Still on sale this morning.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm sure the mint will just make more if needed. In these crazy times it sounds like good business practice to make these in batches, based on demand.

It would be nice to have the reverse proof nickel but I won't be buying the set.

LakeEffect likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I told you these sets would not sell out. They are of no interest to the flippers. I logged on as soon as sales opened and had no problem ordering one.

LakeEffect likes this.
  6. ernie11

ernie11 Member

Yeah, it's likely, unless the SF Mint is closed for a good while.

7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Fairly certain they did an initial run of the 190,960 and did what they did because they are uncertain of the demand with the current situation and don't want to run 400K sets in silver and have them sitting around at the distribution centers all year.

Mint figures released
    Annual Sets 20RH 2020 SILVER PROOF SET (+ W2 NICKEL) 183,456 4/19/2020

I don't think this will sell out but I think they will continue to sell and take orders for them and it will go on back order as they stage to get more minted and put together.

Home shopping will have a field day with this set and misinformation. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a real treat for you tonight, you aren't going to believe this, The mint only produced 190,960 of these sets and I was only able to get my hands on a few, we just don't know if they are going to make anymore with the current situation, and if they don't, this will be the lowest mintage proof set since 1954,,,, and we all know what proof coins from those years sell for now especially in PR70! This is an opportunity you don't want to miss!"

The mint will make more, they aren't certain on the sales of these sets with people going crazy for bullion and the economy recessing, so they just don't want to tie up the silver in that quantity for this set all at once.

Now. CLEARLY there will be at least one more production run, maybe even a 3rd.

Who else besides me is going to buy another set from the 2nd run? LOL
    Ya never know if there will be a variation, but that's how they happen if there is.

wxcoin, LakeEffect and masterswimmer like this.
  8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

John, you clearly watch too much of Mezack because that script is playing in my head in his voice! Bully for you! :)

LakeEffect likes this.
  9. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

My set arrived today. Very nice looking. Wii post picture of the nickel tonight

buckeye73 likes this.
  10. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Ordered my set about 10 minutes ago. Sets are still available.

11. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

There was mentioned earlier, they had a subscription with the Mint for the Silver Proof Set. I've never heard mention of a subscription. Were they actually referring to their "Enrollment?" I got several emails from the Mint, notifying me that my "Set" had been processed and being ready to mail and that my purchase had been approved. Several days later, my VISA was billed and then I got another email telling me it had been shipped. When I checked with Fedex, they said that they had only issued the tracking number. I haven't checked today to see if it is actually in the hands of Fedex. I buy it each year, look it over when I receive it. I print out the Mints blurb about it and then I package the Set with the Mint's description, the return page, and box it up. I might look at it again in a few months or years. To me, it's a matter of having it and looking at the coins to see if there are visible marks or damage. Before Corona, I would return it to exchange for another Set.
    Anybody buy any gold this year. I did buy the One-tenth ounce proof coin. I paid $240. Last check, it was at $260. I may have bought my last gold from the Mint.

12. Millard

Millard Coindog

And such a bargain. Silver prices are basically the same as SPLY, the Mint adds a nickel to the set and raises the price $8.25. WOW, you just can't make this stuff up!

13. Beardigger

Yes I believe they mean enrollment when they say subscription

14. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

Same with me. Ordered 1st day with no problems

15. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If it is playing in your head in his voice then YOU'VE been watching too much. :)

They changed the term, back when the first started, pre-2007, they were called subscriptions.

17. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

Although I read all the comments prior, I am not sure many of you read the details of the Proof sets, Silver Proof sets or the Uncirculated Mint sets to be sold later. All three of these have "unlimited" mintages meaning, they may sell or mail the sets minted and in stock but, they will mint more until the timeline for the sets are complete. These three sets will not have low numbers nor will they be scare in the least. Buy them now or wait for later...they will still be available.

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

One of the things that I have noticed is that if you wait to buy something at the very end, you stand a chance of getting the material that people have returned because it was defective.

As for the mintages, that is yet to be determined. If collectors think these sets are too common and overpriced, they won't buy them. There have been low mintage sets that have come about that way.

19. David T Sterling

David T Sterling New Member

Is the signed by the designer nickel just another gimmick to sell proof sets or will they be scarce?

20. Beardigger

Here is my set along with the RP nickel
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

green18, Bambam8778, ernie11 and 2 others like this.
  21. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

It's not signed, it's a reverse proof, but YES, OF COURSE IT'S A GIMMICK TO BOOST SALES. And, if last year is any indicator, it will work.

Mint sales have been in decline for a long time and they are aggressively cooking up ideas to reverse the trend.

green18 and johnmilton like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted