2020-S Silver Eagle autographed by Hall of Fame baseball player

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pcandccollector, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Pcandccollector

Pcandccollector New Member

57DC90F2-DCA2-4A24-AD60-8D0D0277E95B.jpeg
    Somehow an autograph by a deceased player has an air of phoniness to it. They had might as well be selling 2021 first day issues autographed by Babe Ruth!

The obverse side has what purports to be his signature. I’ll try to post a picture

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Not if you look at the sports memorabilia industry and understand how things are done now. The major distributors of this stuff tend to have things signed that can later be applied to products. Most sports cards that come signed now aren’t signed on the card itself. Rather, the brand has the athlete sign sheets of stickers that can then be applied to cards at a later date.

The same is true here. The athlete signed the back of the PCGS insert probably several years ago. My guess is he was contracted to signed a whole pile of sheets. He signed them on the back while the front was blank. As PCGS needed them, they printed the front side and put them in slabs.

He died before they were all used up…but that doesn’t mean the autograph is no good. For all we know, they may still have 1000 signed and unused blank labels in their inventory.

Now, obviously for a player like Babe Ruth (who died in 1948 long before such things were done) this is impossible. But some sports memorabilia organizations actually take old signed items from long dead players (say a photo or a check)…cut the autographed piece off and insert it into a piece of modern memorabilia. It looks trashy in my opinion, but it is done.

That’s just the market for sports memorabilia.

4. skm

skm Member

From Dictionary.com Gimmick: a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Don't concede your point, if its what you believe

fretboard likes this.
  5. Pcandccollector

Pcandccollector New Member

Red Schoendinst is back from the grave and autographing another Silver Eagle. This one is available in an auction ending tonight. Bidding is up to $84.

Attached Files:

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Again, these were signed well in advance and had the coin information printed later. He isn't back from the grade and signing.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Public forums can be tricky and I don't like to fight on the internet! I'd rather throw someone a bone and walk away from the conversation than continue to argue my point! :D Sometimes it's just not worth my time!

skm and masterswimmer like this.
  8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Wish I could 'Like' this a million more times. I've just walked away from so many conversations I lost count a decade ago.

skm and fretboard like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted