2020 P Dime w/??? on Reverse.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Double Die, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Ok, so modern dimes are notorious for chips, DD, & other various issues. With that said, what do you all see as the "issue" with this one? I have a few ideas, just wanted to narrow it down with a little help.

20200707_151712.jpg 20200707_151510.jpg 20200707_151636.jpg 20200707_151604.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Seriously? In your last photo of the torch, I believe I see a small die chip on the left side of the torch, and maybe some DDD but nothing else. NAV IMO.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Honestly, with something like this, you have to say what you want us to look at other than the reverse.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All I see is a small die chip on the torch.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Okay, so my question may have been a little vague.

When I looked at this, I thought it was either die chips, a clash, or gouges? I thought they looked too clean and uniform to be die chips as most all I've seen on dimes are scraggly or blobs. As for a clash, they don't seem to line up to any of the devices on the obverse. And lastly gouges which I thought they looked like more than the chips but a little big? It might be a combo or none of the above, I'm just trying to clarify.

The "spur" on the left that looks almost like an added flame tip at the base of the flame in pic #3 is the one that looks the most out of place.

Better?

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a chip. There's a lot of shine from the light to be sure.

9. jgrabcoin

jgrabcoin New Member

What did you find out about this coin? I have one exactly like it

Attached Files:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

@jgrabcoin
    Your dime has a small die chip. Very common on modern dimes. It has no collector value.
    And welcome to CoinTalk for your first post since joining 3 years ago.

11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

That is the place to look for DDRs but I agree with Heavy - looks like a chip.

12. jgrabcoin

jgrabcoin New Member

Respectfully, this doesn’t look like any die chip I’ve encountered yet. It’s too uniform and deliberate. These are images of the two exact dimes I have. it doesn’t look random or jagged, like most other die chips, I’ve encountered.

Attached Files:

13. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It's a die chip. They can take many forms and shapes, how "jagged" they are can depend on how many coins were struck after the die chipped. As more coins are struck the chip can wear in and smooth out.

Kevin Mader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted