2020 P Dime Errors.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mary Pampu, Jan 2, 2021.

?

Worth sending in? Haven't been able to reach anyone.

1. Junk

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Send In

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. New Discovery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mary Pampu

Mary Pampu New Member

In the past couple of months I have gotten unopened BU rolls of 2020 p dimes. I have found the usual errors others are finding, chips and die breaks everywhere. I'm new to this and can't seem to find any info or get feedback. I found this last night, I have at least 8 Identical errors. Where do I go from here? PHO00010.JPG PHO00011.JPG

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Thats a common area for a dime to break. Throw them in a tube, and put the nicest one in a flip. These really aren't worth much of a premium.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I concur Madam . :pompous:

1stSgt22 and Mary Pampu like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Mary!

It seems kind of strange that a coin as small as a dime could cause a die made of hardened steel to fail, but that is what happens when planchets are struck with tons and tons of pressure. In this case, it caused a crack in the die which allows coin metal to flow into the void when each successive planchet is struck.

Die cracks are a common occurrence in the process of making coins. It's not really valuable, and it is definitely not worth sending in for attribution. But, since you have eight of them, you might want to keep them together for the "cool factor". While you're at it, examine all of them very carefully to see if you can find a "marker" which would prove that they were all struck from the same die. This marker could be a scratch or gouge on the die which becomes raised on the coin and links all of them to the same production batch. FYI - The US Mint doesn't roll the dimes. A third party distributor does.

Good luck! ~Chris

6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Technically, I don't think "cracked die" coins are classified as a "Mint Error". Many coins over the years have been intentionally struck on damaged dies, due to a shortage of dies.

I've done a LOT of OBW roll searching of early clad quarters. I noticed that OBW rolls with a noticeable anomaly (e.g. die cracks) never had more than about 20% of the coins in a roll exhibiting the same anomaly.

Early clad Washington quarters are interesting because the clad planchets are harder and resulted in more die cracks early on. Washington quarters typically crack along the perimeter of the Eagle's wings and along the perimeter of Washington's head. Just about every die pair exhibits some amount of cracking in those areas...making different die pairs easy to distinguish. In a single roll, anyway.

This led me to speculate that multiple presses may be used to fill a single Mint bag of coins...from which the rolls are created. It could be that banks dump multiple bags into their rolling machines, but that doesn't explain the 20% consistency. Either way, I thought it was an interesting observation and similar to the percentage you report.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Mary Pampu likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A nice die crack. They are common as the Mint over uses the dies so not worth any extra. Welcome to CT.

Mary Pampu likes this.
  8. Mary Pampu

Mary Pampu New Member

Thank you to all that responded. If you haven't checked these times they're loaded with chips, cracks etc. Has anyone found any double dies on the 2020 dimes?

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I haven't...but I haven't been looking.

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Actually an IDB-Interior Die Break and a nice one. I rarely see them extend below the bottom of the torch like this one does with a bulge. That die was about to say goodbye.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Good eye @Mary Pampu. Like @cpm9ball said, see what die markers, if any, you can find and keep the best example in a 2x2. NAV, no added value because they aren't rare, but the cool factor makes the best worth keeping, IMHO.
    Welcome to CT and keep those eagle eyes open. Oh yeah, thanks for post photos full image. Good shots.

Mary Pampu likes this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here is a Die Break issue from my collection
    Die Chip on Mouth Mint Error ;)
    obv.JPG
    Capture+_2021-01-02-23-26-09.png

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's an interesting Interior Die Break but not worth sending in. It's looks neat but it is nothing really major.

14. Alexis Tuero

Alexis Tuero New Member

I have this one that is off centered and the revers looks like he has a small growth of extra metal on his head. I normally stick to gold and silver but found this interesting. Is it worth anything?

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The die chip isn't worth anything. An off center is much different than a mis aligned die. You will have to post some photos.

16. Mthubbards

Mthubbards New Member

17. Mthubbards

Mthubbards New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted