2020 D South Carolina Innovation Dollar Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jator727, Mar 10, 2021.

1. jator727

jator727 New Member

Has anyone seen a 2020 D South Carolina Innovations Dollar with “PLURIBUS” with two “I’s”... “PLUIRIBUS”? It may be a little hard to see but the “I” to the right of the “U” has an identical stamp mark as the “I” between the “R” and “B”. This was taken with my phone I will try to get a better photo with my camera that’s clearer but it’s a hard shot being on the edge.
    077C57E1-856A-4414-98DE-0F45328F2B64.jpeg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yes Okay, cuz I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary . Not lately anyways . Please show whole coin . th (1).jpg

4. jator727

jator727 New Member

I hope these new pictures are clearer to see the extra “I”

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  5. jator727

jator727 New Member

Here are some more pix, maybe clearer or not

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's just something that occurs when the incused edge lettering is applied. Nothing major.
    Look at other similar edged coins and you will see all sorts of weird anomalies.

mike estes and capthank like this.
  7. jator727

jator727 New Member

I have never seen anything like this and I have seen literally thousands of edged stamp coins and yes there are many anomalies... I’m not one to scream “error” on every anomaly I see. I know it’s hard to see on these pictures, the I after the R has as with the other letters an oval shape around them from the stamp. The I after the U has the exact same oval stamp around it too. Like I said it’s hard to see in the photos. I will have to set up my photo box to get the absolute best picture I can and hopefully will clearly show what I see. Thank you for you input, I appreciate every ones input that’s why I like this site.

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

As the e pluribus unum, date and MM are incused all the stuff you are seeing is scratches and scrapes on the edge surface, nothing to do with the 3rd die (collar)

9. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

As expat says above, what you see is
    just contact from other coins in the
    bag making contact with the edge of your
    coin.

I've handled quite a few of these Presidential
    dollars also, and have examined quite a few
    with similar marks on the edge as your coin.

Also, there can be overlapping edge lettering,
    and 'slipped' lettering, where the coin gets
    jammed or caught in the Edge Lettering machinery,
    those are very different from your piece, imo.

expat likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Is the I next to the U incuse or raised?

11. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

I saw it easily with my old eyes in the very first photo...sometimes a pic of the entire coin may help but not needed or useful here. I think some of us just like to holler for a "complete coin" photo :). Have seen this sort of stuff before and never gave it a second thought...but then I've never liked the idea/use of edge font/inscriptions on modern-day U.S. coinage in the first place, esp the things that are being relegated to there on some...our national motto, date, etc...plus that can't be seen (much very clearly/easily, if any) in most holders. To each their own.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The best way I can say it is that's MD on the edge of a coin with incluse lettering. It's considered common.

13. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey jator727 welcome to CT. I do see what your seeing, its really cool. I haven't found another 2020 D South Carolina Innovations Dollar with “PLURIBUS” with two “I’s” yet. if this is something new then we wont have to wait long before other coins start popping up. I personally think it could be bag marks, maybe a scratch. ive seen a lot of presidential dollars with the edge lettering and probably everyone has had a scratch, gouge and or bag mark. I wish I could give better news but I cant good luck man

Draft saved Draft deleted