2020 ATB Uncirculated Mint Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mike Thornton, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I received my 2020 ATB Uncirculated Mint Sets over the weekend. Upon opening and inspecting my purchase I noticed that the coins look different between the P mint and D mints. I'm wondering if the mints struck the coins using different die preparation (other then the mint mark). Seeking observations from others that purchased sets.
    What caught my eye is that all of the P mint coins have polished fields, nearly mirror like and all the devices, obv and rev, have a frosted appearance as if they were burnished. All of the D mint coins appear frosted or burnished, both obv and rev, fields and devices. So the question is, is this a difference in the mints process's or an intended difference. Research so far has produced no answers.
    Thanks,

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

As far as I know it's two different mints, different dies and well, different everything. Hence your coins will also be different.

4. Mike Thornton

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the feedback.

5. Collecting Nut

You're welcome

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Denver often makes better looking coins overall. You may have gotten lucky to have gotten some early strikes when the dies were fresh. If you order the "S" mint quarters they also have a much nicer appearance also. You never know what you will get with Philly.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. Mike Thornton

Thx for the feedback. I have the clad S mint proof set in hand and ordered the silver set (yet to arrive). I ordered the UNC sets the day they went on sale so was thinking maybe the difference is the die states between Philly and Denver, but without knowing how early in the process the coins were actually struck its just a guess. All in all, the strike looks to be strong on each coin, just the obvious differences in the surfaces between the mints. Under a loop, the differences in the fields is very obvious between P and D that I'm wondering if the die's are prepared differently. I would think the specifications would be the same for uncirculated strikes regardless of mint, understanding different folks are actually doing the work.
    Thx again..

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

I recently found a 2008-P mint set with strikethroughs on some of the quarters. That only goes to show...

9. Collecting Nut

Isn't that the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted