2020 ASE Proof - On the way back to the mint

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by USS656, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Broncoholic

Broncoholic Well-Known Member

I too am almost DONE with US MINT! Just received my 2020 proof, and while not spotted like OP’s... mine did not come with a COA card. Called to have them send me one and was told I’d have to do a complete return to receive a coin with COA. Now I must risk getting a sub-par replacement coin trying to fix THEIR mess up.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Yeah they will

4. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

unbelievable, how does that get missed?

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I would not bother for just the COA. Maybe someone here who is putting their coins into an album could supply you with one.

6. Broncoholic

Broncoholic Well-Known Member

That’s a fantastic idea! Thanks Tommyc03!
    Now... any takers?!? Obviously willing to pay for the stamps!

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'd help but I do not order my mint & proof sets until they have all been released to save on shipping.

Broncoholic likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

All of this really makes me want to run to the Mint with the money in my fist.:confused:

USS656 likes this.
  9. coin dog

coin dog Well-Known Member

Not regarding ASEs, but I quit buying silver proof sets from the USM in 2013 due to damaged coins and dust in the capsules. This was not the first time I had similar problems.

Also, I had to return a 5 oz Gettysburg coin years ago because of a gash on the mouth that was very obvious and unpleasant looking.

Due to these and similar quality issues, I have not bought from the USM for quite awhile.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  10. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'm not too happy with mine. It looks like a piece of hair is lying on the reverse between the plastic and the ASE.

2020-W Proof - Obverse (2).JPG 2020-W Proof - Reverse (2).JPG

11. USS656

Looks like a fair amount of dust in yours too. Send that hair for DNA testing. :( ;) Again, how do they not notice that. I would get that hair and dust out of there!

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think about this kind of thing every time I see "NEW IN UNOPENED MINT BOX" items on eBay -- all the risk, but with zero chance of doing a return if whoever finally opens the box gets a bad surprise.

This is why PCGS and NGC will surely soon start slabbing coins in their original Mint shipping packaging. "Guaranteed original and untampered! We certify that this coin is unseen by human eyes since it left the Mint!"

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Regarding funding.

"The production and sale of circulating coinage and the other functions of the Mint are funded through the United States Mint Public Enterprise Fund, established in 1995. Any profits made by the Fund in excess of operating requirements are returned to the Treasury. Government procurement regulations do not apply to the Mint's procurement and contracting activity.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5136

Nathan401 likes this.
  14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

All I’ve seen on this site with these coins are problems.

15. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

How do you crack these things open without damaging the plastic? Any thoughts? I hate returning things.

16. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

I am so done with the US mint! I can understand why sales were down again last year, high prices and poor quality. I received an email a while back that the mint was raising prices for 2020 :mad:, maybe a new director needs to be appointed??

17. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Oh yea, in a related story Meow just remembered. Meow bought a Yosemite 5 oz coin from the mint that had a ding on the rim. Meow was real busy at the time so did not bother returning it and just bought another one. Well, the next one had a similar ding in the rim. So Meow just said screw it, and kept them both. It was a time Meow could afford to do that, but retired Cats cant afford to be doing that now. Meow just did not have the time to be bothered with such things at the time.

JCKTJK likes this.
  18. USS656

I believe they are like any airtite, find the edge where the top and bottom come together and use a utility blade or sharp knife to gently separate them.

Phil Ham and -jeffB like this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Let's hope it does.

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That needed to be returned so hopefully your next one will be perfect.

21. USS656

Reached the mint return center on the 20th and I still have not heard anything from them. Have to wonder how long they take to process returns. At this point I would have expected to see a ship notification for the replacement.

Draft saved Draft deleted