2020 ASE Proof - On the way back to the mint

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by USS656, Jan 18, 2020.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

This is maybe the second time in all my years of buying coins from the mint where I needed to return a coin. The biggest issue is a decent size spot on the reverse as well as a smaller spot not to far from it. That's a deal breaker, not sure how that made it through any kind of quality check? The other issue is how much dust is inside the capsule. What you see on the reverse is all inside that capsule. Somewhat shocked by it. All of these dust particles would have ended up on the surface of the coin and caused issues down the road. Will wait to see how the replacement looks. QC was taking a break when this went through inspection. As a QC Manager at my company, I would have been embarrassed to have let this out the door.

upload_2020-1-18_11-10-29.png

upload_2020-1-18_11-11-19.png
    upload_2020-1-18_11-11-57.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I don't blame you a bit.

AuldFartte and USS656 like this.
  4. Smart move returning it. If it bugs you now, it will really bug you later. These coins should really be immaculate. TC

AuldFartte likes this.
  5. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Will they will resale it...?

6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Good move returning it. That would have translated into buyers remorse for me too.

AuldFartte and USS656 like this.
  7. USS656

I would hope not.

8. USS656

I agree, Not every coin can be a 70 and without the spots and dust I would have kept the coin. The dress had an area where the matt finish was not as strong as the rest and the mint mark is a little wonky but those are normal variations I would have accepted.

9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

If their customer service was any good, they should just let us keep those things and send us another one. They can afford it!!

JCKTJK likes this.
  10. USS656

I could just imagen how many would take advantage of that level of service. Would be nice/fair though if I didn't have to pay for return shipping for a total lack of Quality on their part! The premium they charge me just went up by $8 for this purchase.

11. Islander80-83

Like I said, they can afford it. Let people take advantage of it. It will tighten up the mints quality control.

Collecting Nut and JCKTJK like this.
  12. masterswimmer

No they can't afford it. Taxpayer money should not be taken advantage of.

hotwheelsearl and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  13. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

are they milk spots?? if so I thought that problem after some debate had been fixed??

14. Islander80-83

What world are you living in? Yes, in a perfect world taxpayer money should not be taken advantage of. Would you like me to go down the list? Should I start in the Billions column or Trillions column of US wasted tax dollars?

coin dog and JCKTJK like this.
  15. USS656

The larger spot looks like a milk spot to me due to the even color across the area of discoloration. The smaller spot looks like a contaminate on the surface (maybe one of those dust particles?). Bright center with lighter discoloration surrounding it. Just my guess.

JCKTJK likes this.
  16. masterswimmer

So just continue to abuse a seriously broken system. Gotcha!

17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Don't get off track my friend. Those kind of conversations devolve rather quickly and end up with people getting dunned by the mods. Better safe than sorry.;)

18. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Reminds Meow of the last Coin and Currency set they sold. The two Meow bought had the bill glued down about 15% off the window. Took a while to get them replaced, as Meow had to wait for the mint to send the free return shipping labels. And Meow too was a QC Cat at one time, and every little flaw in anything would make Meow want to pull Meow's fur out. But with age and retirement, Meow has learned to let minor stuff go. But proof coins should be better that the one you had.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  19. USS656

I will be sure to let everyone know when I receive the replacement and the condition.

AuldFartte, NSP, furham and 2 others like this.
  20. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I'd return it too. What a pain.

USS656 likes this.
  21. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I know that ASEs are prone to spotting, but that’s pretty bad when they come pre-spotted right out of the mint. Hopefully the second time is the charm for you!

USS656 and Allan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted