2020 Advice

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by furryfrog02, Jan 24, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Right now I search 4 boxes of halves and 2 boxes of cents a week.

With the 2020 Quarters starting to be released soon, and my 2019 luck with "W"s, I am trying to figure out how to split my funds up. I don't care too much for the "W"s beyond getting a full set for me and each of my kids. The rest I have no problem selling or trading for other coins.

Should I:
    a) Drop 2 boxes of halves and pick up 2 boxes of quarters to keep the $$ the same?
    b) Sell some 40%ers to get an extra $1k to just add two boxes of quarters and still keep the 4 boxes of halves?

What do y'all think? I appreciate your input!

TexAg and Islander80-83 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I’m in need of an Idaho W.
    As to your question, I just like to acquire, so I wouldn’t part with the 40%ers. I pick a.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

I stopped searching quarters almost immediately once I found my RONR W's.
    I am sitting on about $500 f/v of 40%ers so I wouldn't be depleting my entire stack if I just sold $1k worth. My wife is leaning me towards a as well though haha.

Nathan401 likes this.
  5. Nathan401

Did you find all those searching? It’s a good haul!

6. furryfrog02

Yeah. I've found close to $1k f/v of 40%ers and about $200 f/v of 90%ers since I started searching a few years ago.

7. Nathan401

Wow! That’s great!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

TexAg likes this.
  9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

@furryfrog02 What would bring you the most satisfaction searching? And if you held off on the quarters a couple months waiting for them to get into circulation, maybe it's a split of A and B? Especially if your on-hand returns aren't covering your weekly outlay?

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I know, I'm living your pain on my end as well. Fortunately however, whichever way we look at it; it's a good dilemma.

For whatever reason, I'm holding all my silver at the moment. I just like to see it, hear it and feel it! I love the sound of silver in the morning!! :hilarious:

You're working with a little more capital then I am. I would go with A. Drop 2 boxes of halves and pickup 2 more boxes of quarters. In addition, my "dumping" issues hasn't completely gone away.

You seem to have it down to a science and maximize your efforts by the numbers! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Tuco and furryfrog02 like this.
  11. Tuco

Tuco Active Member

That's almost a monster box, well done! [​IMG] There's been a lot of volatility with silver prices in recent months that we haven't seen for a long time. The swings are getting bigger, it was up .33 just yesterday. With as many 40%ers as you have, personally, I'd wait until you can get at least $4 each on them. Might be sooner than we think.

12. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

FF - If there is any way to do this, I would vote for Option C: add 2 boxes of quarters in April when the new Ws are released, and keep the 4 boxes of halves and 2 boxes of cents going. If the searching and dumping gets too much, I would drop the 2 boxes of cents. Cents are fun, but come on, there’s nothing like finding silver halves! I’ve added 2-3 boxes of quarters to my 4-5 boxes of halves per week to try and get some better 2019-Ws, and the odd error or proof here and there. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

13. furryfrog02

I just saw this article that the "W"s won't be released until the 2nd design in April. Looks like the American Samoas will be the last "W"s to be released for the year. Good to know I have a couple extra months. That'll give me enough time to get the extra $1k for 2 boxes of quarters to add to the weekly order.

Also, @TexAg, I will NEVER drop the cent boxes. I started with cents and have found so many cool things in them. Silver is great, but cents are where it's at :)

Islander80-83, TexAg and calishield like this.
  14. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Okay, okay you like cents! :rolleyes:
    Like I said, we have until April for the 2020-Ws anyways. o_O

Draft saved Draft deleted