2019P American Memorial Park, Annealing error or Eviro Damage?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by John Burgess, Jul 11, 2019.

1. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Hi. Found this roll hunting. Best pictures I could take with what I have and my skill level.

I'm thinking Evironmental Damage but when I look at slabbed annealing error quarters definitely some look like this too and It bothers me because it's relatively new and never seen one look like this yet and the more I read on annealing errors, the more I suspect it might be.

Coin has full cartwheel luster that shines through under whatever this marking is.

Here's the pics. I did it with 2 different lightings maybe one is better than the other.
    Anyone with some knowledge on this type of subject, I'd appreciate an opinion please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for your time!

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

I bumped this one more time because it got absolutely no response at all and coming on 2 weeks and I was interested on getting opinions on if it was some sort of quick evironmental damage or mint process damage possibly being an annealing error or a missed rinse.

I wouldn't normally bump and don't know if it's frowned upon but just in case it was missed in the flurry of posts on here and got burried.

Also I don't care about a value or what it's worth that's not why I collect or roll hunt, I'm not here to find out if I hit it rich, I don't care about that as most errors and most coins in general aren't going to make anyone rich. Just looking for opinion from someone that might know about annealing errors vs. Environmental damage. Again thanks for your time.

4. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

John - I just saw this thread and your photos.

Based on the edge photo, the coin left the Mint like
    that - not sure if it is mis-annealed or just has some
    type of liquid that dried on it.

It could be annealing - or could not be, but it's
    from the Mint, imo.

5. John Burgess

I really appreciate the opinion Fred. Thank you for taking the time to look and respond. My thought was either annealing process, or a missed cleaning step after the annealing possibly. Glad to know I'm at least on the right track. If I didn't get it from a 99% box of BU 2019 P quarters. with a smattering of older dates tossed in, and it came from a solid BU box, I'd be more confident about it.

Thanks again for your time!

Draft saved Draft deleted