2019D doubling on the R..anyone know about this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ben crowder, May 23, 2019.

1. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)
    I always love it when someone tells me” you don’t know what you’re talking about”.

When the hammer strikes the coin off center. it will be misaligned. Upon ejection release there is a slight vibration.
    Which can cause ever so slight doubling. It just shifts the image very slightly.

Was no longer writing about the coin in question at the top of the page.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

There would never be zero doubling on one tiny spot
    Dies don't work that way :(

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I think you're still confusing things. MD is from a die that has become loose. MAD is when the dies are slightly misaligned when installed. They are not related. @Seattlite86 gave a good explanation in a previous post

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Just because a die is misaligned does not mean there is going to be a vibration and MD. Just because a die is aligned does not mean there will not be vibration and MD. There is no direct positive correlation between MAD and MD. I’m sorry, but how do you expect me to come to any other conclusion, when you keep suggesting things that are untrue?

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

you have two distinct, non correlated statements:
    (a) When the hammer strikes the coin off center. it will be misaligned.

(b) Upon ejection release there is a slight vibration.
    Which can cause ever so slight doubling. It just shifts the image very slightly.

for (b) strike/ejection doubling occurs when the hammer die shifts slightly when it comes apart - when the hammer die retracts from the chamber (probably just microns retraction time frame). Since the die itself was not totally, perfectly perpendicular aligned (due to wear in the entire machine etc), the parts of the coin that have not 100% cleared the die get shifted. This leaves a flat shelf of where it was before being shifted.

This is not the result of a defective die, and not the result of a misaligned die.

(a) MAD is misaligned upon striking, not a shift upon retraction.

fyi, I just repeated what Seattlelite stated on the first page ...

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  7. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)

Imho, I believe i have an understanding of how a mad is formed.
    In my second post on this thread. I had made a mistake in my opinion. What I meant to write was “may have”. With a ?
    Was not thinking of a plating issue. I’m sorry.

How that extra mark got there is very difficult to tell from the pictures.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted