2019 W Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Janika, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't quite get the mint interjecting into the hobby that way. To intentionally create a coin to collect seems silly. Hundred years from now maybe someone will appreciate it. Not me. Not even in a slab.:)

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

How else does one spur interest in a hobby if not that way? Wasn't that also the point of the great hunt this year? Some might think it is an annoyance right now, but the benefit of new enthusiasts is worth it. It's like the people watching YouTube videos and coming here posting random pocket change. If 1/1000 people stick with the hobby then it was worth those dumb videos in my eyes. I have several bags of S mint mark quarters for this year that I plan on slowly feeding into my rolls for the bank. Worth the few dollars if someone sees it and gets interested in it.

4. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Perhaps. I guess the hobby has to end or at least be limited eventually given that many newer collectors can't afford to jump right in with money to spend so I suppose that's the point but it just seems forced. Not much better than HSN hawking their junk. I guess that's why the purists are so hard on new collectors. They probably don't like the hobby being watered down, so to speak. I don't know. I think much better value can be had buying up older coins say from the 60's or whatever. Never know how many Kennedy's for example get melted down and how few of the original population remains. That way seems a little more genuine to me at least. The mint saying 'Hey, we're going to invent a coin to collect' seems silly to me.

TyCobb likes this.
  5. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

I get that sentiment and understand it. It may be a great thing to do, but you still need to hook someone somehow. Let the W be the gateway drug for future numismatists. :cool:

6. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

I suppose.

7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think the point was to get people to actually start looking at the change in their pockets. The vast majority have no idea what design is on a Quarter, what all these different designs on the reverses are, etc.

8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

The mint literally is the hobby. If they weren't making coins people wouldn't be collecting them. I think they have a right, more like a duty, to interject themselves into the hobby and create what they think will interest collectors and possibly even create new collectors if for no other reason than to just create job security for themselves by serving this collector market.the day will come when coinage for circulation won't be necessary anymore. I'm at least hoping if that day comes the mint will still be around servicing collectors with products and able to continue striking coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted