2019 W quarter with error. Only 7 know so far.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tammydemars, May 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tammydemars

Tammydemars New Member

Hi everyone! My name is Tammy. I had an account here a while back but lost my login detail so I had to make a new account. I saw where a couple people were asking about my quarters here but nobody really knew where the pics came from. I have 4- 2019 W San Antonio quarters with a circle on the lip. I just took a couple more images but don’t have time b4 work today to figure out how to upload them. The quarters are in my possession but will be sent to pcgs any day now. I had Anacs grade them but they couldn’t identify the circles near the lip. I was sent an email stating that they dk what caused this but it is under investigation. That was a year ago and I’ve heard nothing else from them. Any ideas here? I know of one other person that has 3 more and that’s it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tammydemars

Tammydemars New Member

Idk how but it did download all my images. I thought it had only posted 1.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

ANACS will attribute anything. Even if it is something minor :yawn:

Interesting though. Looks like something got stuck to the Obverse Die and struck through a few planchets.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Not to down the Error but isn't it supposed to excite collectors ? This does not excite or interest me . :( I'm only one though . JMHO

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  6. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

+1 with all above and if you send them in to PCGS if your plan is to sell them or even keep them its not worth it.

7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

if you send it to PCGS, very important that you tell them to slab them with the obverse to the front, otherwise they will slab it reverse forward like they do all state and park quarters.

If this mark is your key point, you want this on the front of the slab, not the back.

As far as circles on coins, this is something that has happened since at least 1965 at various points and nobody has any idea what is the exact cause for it so it's not a surprise for them to identify it the way that it is, it's not a mark on the coin, it's a mark on the die in the shape of a circle, but they don't and probably will never identify how it got on the die conclusively. this is no different than extra leaf Wisconsin quarters (partial circles) or the 2019-P lowell "washington "earring" small circle.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...rror-coins-lincoln-cent-jefferson-nickel.html

https://varietyerrors.com/uncategorized/what-are-those-circles-on-your-coins/

it's not figured out conclusively, and I'm not sure it will be since it's been so long since it appeared all they can say for sure is it's on the die and not an anomaly on the coin.

and if you send them to PCGS or NGC, expect the grade to drop on them from what ANACS graded them, it usually does.

8. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Don't send 'em to PCGS - it's way too minor,
    and they will not be labeled as an error, imo.

Leave them in the ANACS holders, and sell them
    on Ebay. No reason at all to spend the fees/postage/etc.
    that it would cost to send them to either PCGS or NGC.

John Burgess likes this.
  9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Hi Tammy, not to burst your bubble, but something like this type of thing, much more dramatic on a 2019P Lowell mintmark, the coin sells for around $10. And $5-$10 for most all coins with die circles.

For a San Antonio W around that grade and Anacs slab, sells for $20-$30, so realistically, a sold price is going to be around the $30 range each, and could go a bit higher in ebay auction of course, but Fred is right, sending them to another grading service will eat up what meat is left on the bone (so to speak) for you. you'll have too much into it between the two grading companies and either have to take a loss to sell them or price too high to where they don't sell.... if selling is what you want to do with them at some point.

Anything can happen with a sale though, just realistically speaking I can't imagine them going for any more than $50 each no matter who grades it.

Draft saved Draft deleted