2019 San Antionio Missions Quarter Doubling?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by orionisopen, Nov 15, 2019.

1. orionisopen

orionisopen New Member

Found this in pocket change. I'm still learning about the different kinds of doubling and need some input on this one. There is what appears to machine or "shelf" doubling in most of the obverse lettered devices, but Liberty seems to be a double tap rather than caused merely by vibration. The L, I, B, and E have two distinct upper left corners. If it were merely shelf or machine doubling, wouldn't the corners be indistinguishable and blended since the metal would just be pushed over some? I don't see how two distinct corners on each letter could be produced unless the die actually hit the planchet twice, which would be true doubling, correct? Or am I missing something? Forgive my ignorance.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That Looks Like die deterioration doubling.

Not a doubled die

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A true Doubled die is 1 strike with a Die that is doubled. That's what it's called a Doubled Die

Some info -
    https://doubleddie.com/58222.html

You must understand what occurs before you Start searching!

orionisopen and ldhair like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The doubling occurs when the working hub is transferring the devices to the working die, not from the working die to the planchet.

Chris

orionisopen likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

NAV or no added value doubling.

Welcome to CT.

orionisopen likes this.
  7. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@paddyman98 ...is correct. Again. @orionisopen ...we have been doing single squeeze ( 1 strike ) since the mid-80s...quarters, IIRC, were phased in by the mid-90s...some actual expert member knows the actual timeline on this.

The point is: there couldn’t have been a second strike in 2019 business strikes. So, with 1 strike on the obverse, coupled with it being a business strike from dies used way past their normal life, produces all kinds of strange effects. Chips, cracks, eroded edges on the letters and numerals, die polishing lines and general device deterioration all the way around. The deterioration is not uniform, it can affect the coin in different locations, at different stages in the life of the working die.

Proof coins are struck more than once, but on specially prepared planchets and dies, with a different production process ( slower, read that: more careful).

This is my understanding of the process, not my opinion. I am always open to correction.

Hope this helps...Spark

orionisopen likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @orionisopen. Good eye and nice photo. As already mentioned, it is not doubled die, but hang in there and keep looking. From you post, you seem to have educated yourself on the subject and it's not always easy to identify, but if you study actual doubled die coins, you will start to see the differences. Good luck.

orionisopen likes this.
  9. orionisopen

orionisopen New Member

Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible that the "Liberty" device on the die could bounce when the strike occurs so that it would cause a duplication? Both layers of the lettering look very defined and even appear to be rounded, especially noticeable in the B. I understand die deterioration happens frequently and can cause all sorts of anomalies, but for two layers with such clear definition and separate corners to be created simply by wear on the die device seems odd. I guess I need to watch a video on the die creation and strike processes to get a better idea of what happens. Does anyone know of any good links to one?

10. orionisopen

orionisopen New Member

Okay, just for the heck of it, I've uploaded images of the other letter devices showing doubling. The doubling appears in QUARTER DOLLAR too, although not as much as the rest.

Does anybody on this forum work for any of the grading companies? If so, have any other 2019 D San Antonio Missions quarters like mine been showing up?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted