2019 Proof Sets

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rassi, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Wondering if anyone has any insight on why the Mint didn't include the Innovation dollars with the Proof set this year? Back when both the Presidential dollars and State quarters series were in process, both were included in the Proof sets. Just read a description of the Proof set due later this month and it doesn't include the Innovation dollars, just the one Native American dollar.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Good question. I just purchased a proof set because I wanted the West Point cent. The set does include a Sacajawea dollar.

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

proof sets dont include special collector coins, only coins that are or were meant for circulation..

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Huh? All these years I thought proof set were special collector coins not meant for circulation.

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

nope, they are circulation coins with a special strike meant for collectors..

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

8. Clawcoins

specs for the 2018 Uncirculated Set
    upload_2019-4-9_13-38-3.png

Proof Set
    upload_2019-4-9_13-38-18.png

And Silver Proof Set
    upload_2019-4-9_13-38-41.png

9. Clawcoins

The Uncirculated Sets are different from regular circulated coins in that (quoted from above 2018 link)
    And of course The Proofs are even more special (minted in San Francisco), as are the Silver Proofs.

I don't know why the Innovative Proofs are in the set. They're in a couple other sets already. But the regular coin bags haven't been released yet. I wonder if it's just timing or they didn't want to add just one more coin while having to adjust the packaging.?

But it wasn't designed for ciruclation
    https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/new-1-coin-program-honors-american-innovation

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Aw, c'mon guys! You can't figure this out? Geez! If the Mint finds that the projected sales for regular proof sets falls short of their projections, they can always create a new set by adding the extra dollar and charge more for it, to boot.

Chris

dwhiz likes this.
  11. Rassi

So you mean I can get the 2019 Kennedy Half Dollars and Native American dollars at my local bank??? LOL!

Why were the Presidential dollars released in years 2012 - 2016 included in the Mint Proof sets then? Those were NIFC coins.

12. Clawcoins

... except for the exceptions ... lol

ie .. current Half Dollars are not meant for Circulation ... exceprt from the 2018 schedule :
    • 2018 half dollars feature a portrait of President John F. Kennedy
    • Contains 40 coins that have a circulating finish, but have never been in circulation
    • Minted at the Denver (20) and Philadelphia Mints (20)

I forgot when they stopped the Half Dollars .. edit: they stopped mid year 2002 the halves circulation distribution. But, of course, you can get halves at the bank .. just ask for them in change or rolls (at least mine can).

13. Rassi

Yes, you can get halves, but most likely they won't contain any NIFC coins, unless you're lucky. Same with dollar coins...

14. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

so i take it you were not around when kennedy halves and native american dollars "were" in circulation? well at one time they were both normal circulating coins and that is why they along with the other normal circulating coins (cent, nickel, dime and quarter) are in the proof set...

15. Rassi

Believe me, I was around for the introduction of everything except the Kennedy. I wasn't really collecting though until about the time the Kennedys stopped being minted for circulation. I remember when I'd put a way a roll of the Presidential dollars with every new issue, at face value.

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Tommy, all the coins in proof packaging are circulation coins minted in proof. The Innovation Dollar is not a circulation coin so it is not included in the proof set.

Proof coins are special collector coins in and of themselves and so is the Innovative Dollar. Does this help?

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Simple answer, have you noticed that no designs for the 2019 Innovation dollars have been announced yet? (Or if they have I missed them completely.) Hard to strike and include coins whose designs haven't been approved yet. cpm9ball probably has the right answer, they will probably come out as separate sets later in the year. After all, since they aren't being made for circulation they don't have to stagger the production for individual issuing.

LakeEffect likes this.
  18. Rassi

So perhaps if they get ahead of the curve with the design approvals in years down the road they might be included in proof sets?

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably.

The whole innovations dollar thing has been a rush job. Something like two months from the law being passed to the end of the year to get the 2018 out, and then what two more months before the 2019 proof sets came out. Typically new designs are selected and approved one to two YEARS before they come out

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    LakeEffect likes this.
  20. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I see said the blind man. I was confused over the terminology. I thought the proofs were specially prepared blanks that were different from the circulation blanks. But I do understand now. Thanks.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  21. MajorMatt

MajorMatt Junior Member

At the end of last year (2018), I was part of a survey conducted by the US Mint about the Innovation Dollar. Since the 2018 American Innovators Dollar (AID) coin was released at the end of the year and was not part able to be include in a set. The survey wanted to know if future AID's should be in included in annual sets or be sold as a stand alone coin? The survey also addressed the issue of the additional cost of the annual set by adding the five extra dollar coins. I believe the results of the survey leaned heavily to not to include the AID's in the annual sets.

Draft saved Draft deleted