2019 Numismatic Travel Plans - Where Ya Goin'?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Dec 7, 2018.

1. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I'll be at NYINC.. Never been before, very excited.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Cool! If you're NOT "local local", check the travel sites for rooms NOW! There are GREAT deals now.

4. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I'm local enough.. work in the city and live about 1.5 hours north. I'll probably take Friday off and hang out there.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

I just checked the MLB schedules - no Cubbies during the ANA show - the Astros are in town against the Chisox.

6. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Although I usually try to go to the EAC show every year this time around I'll be at the ONA show in OKC that same week in May and then the TNA show in Arlington the last week of May.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

TNAers are the best people to talk coins with.

8. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I am going to the Pittsburgh ANA show. Already have a room ready!

9. V. Kurt Bellman

I might find the space in my schedule to bug out early some Friday of a Baltimore Whitman show, too.

10. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Most of the TNA members from OK that I know are pretty cool---those Texicans, though...

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not planning to travel to any shows, because....

My mom and I are spending a month in Peru and Ecuador. While there, I am going to visit the numismatic museums in Quito and Lima. That's pretty much the extent of my numismatic travel next year!

-jeffB likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll be at Fun for sure. Hope to do the TNA. The ONA in OKC is a cool little show but it's tough for me to get there.

13. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I plan on sticking local. I will for sure keep the Baltimore Whitman show on the radar. Gettysburg Battlefield will be a for sure also. I'm hoping to make it to the spring one this year as well (I think it's the first time they are having one in the spring). I would like to make it to my own clubs show (I've been on vacation the last 2 times). There is one up in Delaware on January 17'th that I'd like to hit up for the first time too! I don't have a lot of money to spend but I enjoy browsing and talking to the dealers if I get up the nerve.
    Most of my travel expenses are used for vacation. Not in the budget but it's awfully hard to pass up a round trip ticket to Paris for $288 per person. Granted it's cold in January but it can still be fun! Did a get away to NYC in a blizzard and loved it! Button up!

14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Wha...? Uh, yeah. Hard to pass up.
    I wish my 2 round trip tix to Seoul this summer were only $576! Instead, our "economy comfort" seats were close to $4,000. And I bought them the day they became available in October!

My numismatic travel plans involve that trip to Seoul to hit the Seoul Coin Shops and perhaps interview a representative from the Bank of Korea, a former South Korean Mint chief engraver, and get some primary documentation on coin production from that country.

15. Bambam8778

How do you purchase them? I use google flights. It's an awesome and VERY easy way to compare prices. It even allows you to find the cheapest airport to fly out of. I'm closer to Baltimore or Philly but if I drive another hour or so to Newark/Liberty then the prices of most tickets take a landslide down dramatically.

16. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Uh, this is INTERNATIONAL. And to Asia. And they fill up really, really fast with Asian university students going back home.

My brother-in-law is a A-350 jumbo jet captain who flies out of Seoul to Heathrow. He told me that the airlines only make real money from their international flights, and take a bath with domestic flights. Which may explain why so few of us enjoy flying domestic.

"Priceline" is not an option. And no better.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  17. Bambam8778

Yeh, no problem. Google flights let you take a look at flights anywhere in the world. Check it out!

18. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Yeah, well, booking a trip that has four stops on our way to Seoul just to chase down the cheapest flight is not my cup of tea. I like flying direct from MSP to Incheon. Which we will do.

I've been on a trip that took 24 hours once. And that was ALL in the airplane (because some ding-bat flew against her doctor's orders and we diverted to Anchorage). Not fun.

19. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

oh...you are evil!!! :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: Nice itinerary Kurt! :happy::happy::happy:

20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I will be at the show on Saturday. Are you going today or Sat?

21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I will move twice this year, one of those moves will take me back to the United States. Not sure yet about the second. I hope to make some shows stateside towards the end of the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted