2019 Native American Dollars released in 3-1/2 Finishes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LakeEffect, Aug 4, 2019.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I've been reading about the Coin & Currency sets now on sale. The dollar coin is an "Enhanced Uncirculated" issue (frosted devices and such). Ok, I understand.

I then read the mint is producing the coin in no fewer than 4 finishes this year. (Read about it here)

Ok, I says to myself, I know about "proof", "uncirculated" and "enhanced uncirculated", so what's the fourth?

It seems the mint is issuing uncirculated coins in the uncirculated set, and other uncirculated coins for bags and rolls.

I don't collect them but the concept of BU issues and other BU issues made me smile. I wonder if the TPG's will differentiate, or if anyone cares.

----

Disclaimer: Yes, I know some will claim the A-list will be handled better than the B-list, so they really are different, but still....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The fourth could be a reverse proof finish. I do not collect nor do I get excited about overpriced mint issues like this.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

2019 Native American dollar to be in four finishes

1)
    The Enhanced Uncirculated finish involves a combination of laser-frosted and machine and hand-polished elements.

The 2019 dollar will also be struck at the San Francisco Mint with a 2)standard Proof finish for inclusion in Proof coin sets; in 3)Uncirculated finish at the Denver and Philadelphia Mints for inclusion in the annual Uncirculated Mint set; and in 4)circulation-quality finish at Denver and Philadelphia for numismatic sales as Uncirculated coins in 25-coin rolls and 100-coin bags.

ldhair likes this.
  5. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Right, the fourth type is "another uncirculated"
    It's #3 & #4 that made me smile.

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Will 3 and 4 be distinguishable from each other outside the packaging? If not, there's no reason to order quantites of circulation strikes looking for high grades to submit for grading. I have no reason to do that in the first place, but there are people who do.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Don't forget they could do and "enhanced proof, and an enhanced reverse proof as well. Couple more years and they could be doing 6 finishes.

8. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

These finishes are getting out of hand. I think it's time we finish with the finishes.

DM1, NSP, LakeEffect and 2 others like this.
  9. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

The US mint has been doing this for years with the ATB quarters. Supposedly the finish is better (and the coins do not mix with each other compared to the bags and rolls). The Mint, in it's wisdom comes out with two separate offerings for the ATB quarters. Uncirculated in sets, and Uncirculated for circulating in bags and rolls. Many sellers are taking the coins out of the bags/rolls and selling them piecemeal to buyers. My set contains both versions, and the uncirculated quarters from sets do have quite a few less dings and marks. Only reason I've done it that way.

10. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

All the miscellaneous dollar coins are finished, or should be - they'll never be used for daily commerce and they'll never have a great deal of collector value :meh:

-jeffB and LakeEffect like this.
  11. cpm9ball

For years, I was buying bags of Sac dollars, Kennedy half dollars and State quarters from the Mint to search them for high grades to submit to NGC for grading. On average, I would submit 50 or more business strikes at a time, and I never received fewer than a dozen in MS68. The sale of the MS68's enabled me to pay for every purchase from the Mint, the cost of the submissions and still have a major portion of each bag left over to dump back into circulation.

FWIW, I never ever believed that I had better odds finding high grades from the Mint Sets. My point is that "special finishes" and "special sets" are totally meaningless to me because I could make a better profit from the much cheaper bags of business strikes.

Chris

LakeEffect likes this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hey. Lets play poker with you slabs

13. cpm9ball

How about some One Pocket or 9-Ball?
    JOSS WEST Img1[1].jpg
    Chris

14. Cheech9712

Nah kinda think poksr would be moe better. Looks like them pool stricks have yor name on them

15. Cheech9712

16. cpm9ball

I have custom cues from Joss West and Mike Sigel.

Chris

17. Cheech9712

Oh you on. Mine are Kmart

18. Cheech9712

But i am better the average. Still having trouble with my 18 cushion banks

19. cpm9ball

I also enjoy 3-cushion billiards. A 9-rail billiard shot was my best. I used to have a Gabriels 5'x10' with a heated slate for carom billiards and a Diamond 4-1/2'x9' in rosewood for pocket billiards in the billiard room of my former home.

Chris

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. DM1

DM1 Active Member

No, there's one they haven't done yet: reverse uncirculated :D

-jeffB likes this.
  21. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

It's actually in the article you linked in the original post.
    "
    The Enhanced Uncirculated finish involves a combination of laser-frosted and machine and hand-polished elements.

The 2019 dollar will also be struck at the San Francisco Mint with a standard Proof finish for inclusion in Proof coin sets; in Uncirculated finish at the Denver and Philadelphia Mints for inclusion in the annual Uncirculated Mint set; and in circulation-quality finish at Denver and Philadelphia for numismatic sales as Uncirculated coins in 25-coin rolls and 100-coin bags."

So its:
    1. Enhanced
    2. Proof
    3. Uncirculated finish mint set strike
    4. Circulation finish quality "business strike"

To be fair the mint makes a distinction between the rolls and bags of P+Ds, and the P+D coins in the mint sets in the description. The mint set is described as an uncirculated finish, and the rolls are described as circulation quality finish, but not circulated.

From their Frequently asked questions on the site:
    Uncirculated Coins: Are hand-loaded into the coining press and struck on specially burnished blanks, yet have a soft, matte-like finish appearance. These coins:

• Are made like circulating coins (which are used everyday as money), but with a special process that produces a brilliant finish.
    • Come with an official Certificate of Authenticity.
    Circulating Coins: Are produced for circulations, but those sold directly by the United States Mint are never released to the Federal Reserve Bank. These coins:

• Are typically offered by the Mint in rolls, bags or boxes, which do not include Certificates of Authenticity.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted