2019 Moon Landing Coins - FINALLY

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clawcoins, Oct 12, 2018.

1. chadstone30

chadstone30 Member

sending two of these in for grading...

[​IMG]

Chiefbullsit and Clawcoins like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Hey all, if I order two items from the U.S. Mint, one of which is in stock and the other is NOT...

am I billed for both items *now* or billed only for the item that is currently in stock?

I'm thinking about buying a proof Apollo dollar (currently in stock) and a 5 oz proof (not due to be in stock until October or so).

4. Scott29va

Scott29va New Member

Hey guys, I found a few offerings from Pobjoy Mint pertaining to Apollo 11. The coins they’re offering have to do with Ascension Island where the capsule splashed down with the crew. Some really low advertised mintages (1,969 pcs on one) around 5,000 on the others. Just looking for opinions really. I’m new to coin collecting and the Apollo 11 series is my first foray into this fascinating world.

5. Scott29va

Scott29va New Member

Apparently I am misinformed. Ascension Island is where a NASA tracking station is located that tracked Apollo 11 on its flight from earth to the moon.

6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

My 5 ounce coin is on backorder. I have not been charged for the coin yet. The mint will bill for and send the coin in stock. I get free shipping on all my mint orders. I can't answer to whether the mint will charge for shipping a second time on your backordered item.

7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

8. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Wow! I just finished reading this whole blog. I didn't realize how "in the dark" I am related to coin collecting, grading, and not knowing what the heck I am doing. I buy coins and other items from the mint when I like them. I got the 3 2016 gold coins not knowing what I was getting. I just like the look of them. Then I got the American Liberty coins and medals 1 one oz gold coin, 1 1/10th ounce gold coin, 2 of the individual silver medals, 2 of the 4 set medals, and 3 of the the Enhanced Uncirculated Coin sets, and now the lunar landing coins, I got 1 Proof 5 oz, 1 Proof 1oz silver, 1 of the proof gold coins, the proof half dollar set, and the first placard of "Mission". I probably didn't have to buy one because I was able to copy all three of them onto card stock 8 1/2 x 11 pictures and trimmed them down to fit in 8x10 picture frames. The real one looks great, but my copies are in gold colored frames and look great next to my picture of Spock (Leonard Nimoy). I was 22 in the 82nd at Bragg during two events. The first was the solar eclipse and then the Lunar Landing. I was thrilled. Sorry for the longevity. You guys are terrific.

-jeffB likes this.
  9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I was busy the day of the release and didn't order until the next day when I read on here that they hadn't sold out. I ordered 2 of the sets and received them on the 6th. I have been away for work and just checked them. Both have the error covers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  10. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Agreed - that footprint design is 'funky' - speaking of funky, maybe the Mint should offer another version with a disco 'moon boot' reverse - after all, it was 1969 :p

images (5).jpe

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Tell me more about error covers. News to me

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Good to know. I was just about to order some of their backorder stuff but was curious if they charge immediately or not.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

1969, for all its problems, was still blessedly innocent of disco. That didn't hit the fan mainstream until the mid-70s.

LakeEffect likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I just called the mint asking about the error packaging. Seeing that it was purchased from my daughter in So. Africa they will send me the correct packaging box or holder. She used her United Nation address. Clout

Clawcoins likes this.
  15. Clawcoins

Apparently the "Intro pricing" is ending ...
    upload_2019-2-24_21-59-10.png

16. Clawcoins

I'm going to assume that the PobJoy offering has nothing to do with the US Mint offerings. Just another 3rd party trying to jump on the coattails of the US Mint and take advantage of it.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/worl...apollo-11-coins-for-ascension-island.all.html

https://www.pobjoy.com/us/products/...n-on-the-moon-2019-proof-sterling-silver-coin

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

How are they trying to jump on the coattails of the US mint? World mints and private mints have been doing offerings for this subject before the US Mint did. World wide the last thing any of them wants to do is being riding the US Mints coattails

Cheech9712 likes this.
  18. Clawcoins

Yes, but only after the US Mint came out with what they were going to offer .. this was discussed before too.

Hey, why did the other places come out with Apollo stuff then ? But believe what you want.

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

To commemorate the event and make money, not to ride the US Mints coattails. How much international business do you think the US Mint does? Perth, France, Australia, RCM, British Mint just to name a few all put the US Mint to shame when it comes to international business and probably overall sales in many cases.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You have a problem with disco? :)

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

In the timeless words of KC and the Sunshine Band, "uh-huh, uh-huh".

Draft saved Draft deleted