2019 Limited Edition Silver Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Inspector43, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

The US Mint says "all struck in 99.9 percent fine silver—A FIRST EVER FOR THIS SET!"
    The set typically consists of coins that are no different than those available in other formats. So, all you pay for is the packaging. It looks like the mint has come up with a gimmick to get rid of more of these packages by changing the silver content. So, for $149.95 you can now begin to add another unique coin to your collection.
    Not me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm with not me.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Granny bait......

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hogwash redundancy.....

Santinidollar and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes it is the first time the coins in this set have been made of .999 fine silver. Of course the exact same coins were made in .999 fine silver in the OTHER sets they were included in this year. And next year they will be .999 fine silver again. So big deal, same coins at a higher price than they are in the other sets of this year.

Inspector43 and LakeEffect like this.
  7. Inspector43

The coins in the Silver Proof Sets have always been 90% Silver even in the limited edition sets. Is this year different?

8. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Yes. 99.9% is the new normal for all silver, in all sets.

9. Inspector43

Thank you @Conder101 I stand corrected. It is only the packaging that we are being charged extra for. The silver proof coins are no different than those in other 2019 Silver Proof Sets. I'm glad you pointed that out. Now I won't have a special coin that I missed.

10. Inspector43

However, it appears that the Silver Eagle Proof is minted at San Francisco. The normal proof is minted at West Point. Therefore, if you want to have a complete set of Silver Eagles you have to buy this set with all the duplicates.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

LakeEffect likes this.
  12. LakeEffect

The Mint has discovered that taking advantage of a collector's "full set" compulsion can be profitable.

Here's a breakdown of the 2019 silver proof sets and silver ASE offerings:

1. Uncirculated ASE (W) ......................... 46.95
    2. Proof ASE (S) .................................... 55.95
    3. Reverse Proof ASE (S) ........................ 65.95
    4. Pride of 2 Nations Rev Proof ASE (W) .... 139.95
    5. Silver Proof Set (no ASE)...................... 54.95
    6. Limited Ed. Silver Proof Set w/ASE (S)... 149.95

Note that (6) is just (2+5) but $39 more money.

[edit] I just noticed the more expensive set comes without the cent, nickel, and golden dollar you get if you bought (2). Hmmm...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  13. Inspector43

My "Full Sets" ended December 31, 2018.

Chuck_A and LakeEffect like this.
  14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

If you bought the Silver proof set for $54.95, then you just need to buy the individual S mint proof SAE dollar for like $55.95 and you'd have every coin in this set and then some. for $110.90 instead of $149.95.

I think $39.05 is a bit steep for the packaging.

PS. LakeEffect, you are missing the Proof ASE (W) on your list, it was also $55.95.

Inspector43 and LakeEffect like this.
  15. LakeEffect

Thanks, you are correct.

Chuck_A and Inspector43 like this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

People make this same discovery and comment every year that they have had the Limited Edition sets.

Now that I think is new this year. I believe in past years those coins have been in the set too. So now it is an extra $39.05 for FEWER coins than if you bought the silver set and the proof eagle.

LakeEffect likes this.
  17. Inspector43

However, it appears that the Silver Eagle Proof is minted at San Francisco. The normal proof is minted at West Point. Therefore, if you want to have a complete set of Silver Eagles you have to buy this set with all the duplicates.

18. John Burgess

The also sell the S silver eagle proof by itself.

19. John Burgess

As long as I can remember this limited edition silver proof set only had silver edition coins. My peeve with it has always been that the only thing limited about it is how many the mint makes of this set in this packaging. All coins have been offered in other items as long as I have been paying attention to it.

Chuck_A and LakeEffect like this.
  20. LakeEffect

And yet they sell 10's of thousands of them every year (?)

John Burgess likes this.
  21. John Burgess

Haha yes. My guess has been that it's people that don't pay attention to everything else they offer and get caught up in the "limited" word use terminology and the fact that every coin is silver. I'm saying it again. I believe the only thing really limited about it is the packaging... the offering method.

Not everyone is a collector that will spend the time researching and seeing what is there and if they bought them differently. Must be 10's of thousands of people that bought it for its "limited edition" title and continue to without thinking any deeper I guess.

Seems crazy to me though. I mean you can almost get the silver proof set, the S Mint silver eagle proof and a W silver eagle proof for the same costs. It's like $16.90 more and you get another proof silver eagle, the cent, nickel, and NA dollar for that buying those 3 offerings for $166.85 instead of the limited ed. Silver set for 149.95 .

I guess there plenty of people not spending the time to do the math. I've always thought this limited edition silver set was overpriced but.... let's be honest.... I'm cheap and always looking for a better deal. I'll haggle at McDonald's on the value menu lol.

LakeEffect likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted