2019 Liberty Gold

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Jul 16, 2019.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Her eyes and hair are terrible. She look sleepy, mad, or high. Way too much eye lid showing. And the hair is poorly done as well.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Sounds quite similar to some of the criticisms when the original Peace Dollar design was first unveiled. :)

You made me go back and look at the eye on this design. It does look like she's got a thyroid problem, on top of everything else.

4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

You were there? lol

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not even my parents. But people who were alive at the time reported the reaction, and some of us oldsters remember how to read.

6. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Bragger. lol

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes, looks like the entire back half of her head/skull is missing.

8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I know older thread, but I have seen these sometimes lately. Wow, that is a bad design. High relief is cool and all, and I think more collector coins should be struck this way. However, high relief of a horrible design does not make it acceptable.

I just don't get it. Most designs on the platinum proofs are well done, especially since they finally got rid of the ugly SOL obverse. The Franklin silver dollars, Boystown, and other moderns have been some very good designs. Why not just make all PM commems high relief? Instead, they trot out special designs that are eh to horrible as their "high relief" designs. Does the CCACC vote on these things? I cannot believe they approved the 2019 obverse. If they did, we need a new CCACC.

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

We’ve needed one of those for a lot longer than this.

medoraman likes this.
  10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I like the Australia Wedge Eagle and the Saint-Gaudens National Park coins much better. And of course there's the 2009 UHR.

11. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

yeaaaa that's a hard pass from me.

IS IT SO HARD TO MAKE NICE NEOCLASSICAL PORTRAITS ANYMORE

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes they vote on them, but they don't design them. They get a group of bad designs and then have to pick the "best" of a bad batch. I think I can only recall one time when they just panned all of the designs and refused to select any of them. But in that case there was plenty of time to get new designs. Usually they give the designs to them to make their selection at close to the deadline point and rejecting all of them means missing their launch date. And in that case the Secretary of the Treasury would just pick one.

GoldFinger1969 and LakeEffect like this.
  13. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Been out of the loop for a while, so just now seeing these through the Mint's website and figured I'd dig up an old thread.

The most up to date sales figures (1/12/20) from the Mint show the following:

Gold - 8,709
    Silver - 31,355

Both had a mintage limit of 50,000.

Relatedly:

2017 1 oz. Gold Liberty: 31,109 (mintage limit of 100,000)
    2018 1/10 oz. Gold Liberty: 30,685 (mintage limit of 135,000)

I'm sure given the circumstances of the past two months, that these items are closer to their mintage limits, but still just a big yikes all around for this Liberty series.

The '17/'18 coins are right atrocious, but I've just stared at the '19 series off and on for several hours, trying to bring myself to like it and I can't. Like was mentioned earlier, they tried to go for a Peace Dollar feel and couldn't have been further from that mark. What an ugly rendition of Lady Liberty.

With both the AGE and Buffaloes being cheaper, they're going to continue to have a hard time selling these.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted