2019 dimes improperly annealed planchets

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bditto39, May 22, 2020.

1. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

I opened these from some 2019 BU rolls last year. Hard to get the brilliant gray/black tone in the picture, but they are gorgeous. I put a 2020 next to it for comparison of color.
    20200522_001350.jpg 20200522_001216.jpg
    20200522_001341.jpg 20200522_001159.jpg
    Would it be worth me sending these off to NGC or do these errors not command enough premium for it to be worth the grading fees?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Nah. Save your cash. Get one of those double dime holders. All it is is neat

bditto39 likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The reeding on an improperly annealed coin should look like a normal coin. I can't tell for certain from your pics, but the reeding on your coins look discolored.

bditto39 likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

A lot of the Denver minted dimes have a deep dark look to them. I have started just taking it as normal for the release.

bditto39 likes this.
  6. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

So they are suckkng at their jobs now. Lol. Good to know. There were about six that were a yellowish color in with them as well so it did seem fairly common for 9 in one box.
    The pictures suck for that. Sorrg. I dropped one in a tube of BU dimes and it is indistinguishable.
    Thanks! I will do just that.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Need better pictures of one coin, straight on, front and back, then a picture of the edge, focused on the edge of you can. I'd say its a good chance that is an improperly annealed/sintered planchet, it looks about right from what I can see but better pictures would help.

I found a 2019P American Memorial Park quarter last year in a box of BU quarters I was searching for Ws. just this one coin was like this, the rest shiny new.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yeah camera focused on my fingers, I know I know. LOL it's why I mentioned to get it to focus on the coin edge :)
    Anyways this is what I know to be a improperly annealed/sintered planchet quarter. I don't think they have much if any value except as an oddity. I'm no expert, but I don't think they have value to the level worth grading fees. I am sure someone would pay a few bucks if it was on Ebay I think, they will buy anything for a few bucks on there!

no doubt in my mind at all this came from the mint like that, but, its more of an improperly prepared planchet and not a striking error. I dunno. I put it in a 2x2 and hang on to it.

Cheech9712 and bditto39 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted