2019 d penny Doubled die.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by MeowtheKitty, Jun 20, 2024.

1. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow has just found this. Meow did not know there where doubled ear versions of this year. Meow has found about 3 2018 d ones before. There is a chance Meow missed a bunch of these as Meow did not know to look for it.
    WIN_20240620_03_44_16_Pro.jpg WIN_20240620_03_43_30_Pro.jpg WIN_20240620_03_43_18_Pro.jpg WIN_20240620_03_42_36_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here are many of the known Doubled ears

EARS_84-88-41-97doubled_ears_jason_Cuvelier_01.jpg EARS_55-42s-42-55ddoubled_ears_jason_Cuvelier_HOR_04.jpg EARS_36-39-95-71doubled_ears_jason_Cuvelier_03.jpg EARS_06-09-06-99doubled_ears_jason_Cuvelier_02.jpg

Kevin Mader and MeowtheKitty like this.
  4. MeowtheKitty

Oh, Meow did not know there where so many. Meow might have missed a lot of them as Meow was not aware to look for different ones over the years. Maybe Meow need to sort all the pennies into years first, and then look at them knowing what to look for in the date. Might take a week to go through a penny bundle.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. MeowtheKitty

Also the pennies of the nineties are very detailed in the ear and hair area so it is hard to spot ear varieties. The shield pennies have a much less detailed ear area so even small doubled dies are fairly easy to spot.

Kevin Mader and paddyman98 like this.
  6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Actually, I think this is a rare example of a real "double dye" (a non-numismatic term for something which may or may not actually exist! :jawdrop::D). It's purr..fect!

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To me they are just common varieties as so many are now known.

8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hmm. Woof thinks me not see a "Doubled Ear" variety here. What are you all seeing?
    5d4b3caf935075e3f7b835aa_thought-leadership-ohmconnect-t-o-u-rates-emoji.png TicTac Aug2022.jpg

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. JoshuaP

JoshuaP Well-Known Member

I marvel how anyone has the time to look through pennies this closely. It would take me two years to get through a box if I went over each penny with a magnifying glass!

Kevin Mader and PlanoSteve like this.
  11. MeowtheKitty

Meow just happened to notice this one with the naked eye. Meow did not know that this variation existed so many may have gotten past Meows paws.

JoshuaP likes this.
  12. MeowtheKitty

Meow looked it up at Wexlers. It is the only variety listed for that year and mintmark. Listed as DDO-001

13. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

When I would CRH, it would take me a couple of weeks to go through a box of cents (2-3 hours in the evenings). Lots of varieties to hunt. For single-squeeze varieties, most happen in the center and move towards the rim. So, looking at ‘ears’ or inside ‘doorways and columns’ make finding this class of doubling easier.

JoshuaP likes this.
  14. Robert Theroux

Robert Theroux New Member

Does this add any value to them? I think I may have some but I thought that I was seeing things.

15. Robert Theroux

Robert Theroux New Member

Do you know what years have the double ear error, are only the years that are listed in the pictures you posted or are there more years that have them?

16. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

My guess is that any year single squeeze might have a double ear. Honestly…I never invested any time looking. At the start, people were finding minor doubling of the seated Lincoln and doubling of adjacent columns (minor stuff). For awhile, listing sites attributed them but honestly, most of the reverse doubling I was finding was unattributed (i.e., so prevalent that submitting seemed pointless to me). But to each…their own. Point is that it was happening quite often on reverse dies that it makes sense it was happening on obverse dies as well. And since there are dozens of unattributed DDRs…the same is probably true of the obverse.

17. MeowtheKitty

Go to Wexlers. They have many listings of all types or errors.

Draft saved Draft deleted