2019 D “Scarface” Dime?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by VistaCruiser69, Feb 28, 2020.

1. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

I got this in my change today. Looks like there’s a scar running down his face from top to bottom. For this reason I’m calling this one the Scarface dime. Any ideas on what’s going on with this one? For comparison a normal looking dime is pictured next to the one in question.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The photos are terrible! I think most collectors will know what a normal Rosie looks like. ~ Chris

Hookman likes this.
  4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Too much glare to see anything definitive.

Hookman likes this.
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's ugly. Too bad it's not a new variety.

6. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Well, if its a raised line it could be something. If it is a concave line, Then Meow thinks PMD. It looks like PMD to Meow. A rim of another coin got smashed hard into Roosevelt's face.

7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

That was my first thought but looking more closely, the arc doesn't appear circular enough. (Like the edge of a coin).

Hookman likes this.
  8. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Yea Ok. Meow can see what you mean. But does look like some sort of PMD.

Hookman likes this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Better photos are needed to make a definitive designation. I think it could be a struck through type of damage. But it could be several different things.
    I notice your photos are taken from a side angle, a straight on with low lighting photo may work better. I find shiny silver coins very hard to photograph.

10. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Is it bad of me that your posts always make me chuckle?

Brad

11. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

I think I see something through the glare, but you still need better pictures for us to identify what it is.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"He who can laugh at himself always laughs last!" ~ Chris

Hookman likes this.
  13. VistaCruiser69

Here’s a few pix that I’m hoping doesn’t have too much glare.

The line across the dime is an imprint. It’s not a raised line, it’s more like an indention. At the bottom of the coin it looks more like a crack in the material. It’s also above the head all the way to the rim of the coin. Back side of the coin has no sign of this shape/indention.

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

That last photo is pretty good. I'm still on the side of Struck Through Foreign Object. I would say a string of some kind if pressed for an answer as to what kind of foreign object. A good coin to keep and revisit in a year or two.

rascal and thomas mozzillo like this.
  15. VistaCruiser69

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I didn't want to start another one just like it. Over this past weekend I found another dime in my change with the exact same line/indention across the entire obverse side, in the exact same area, same shape, same everything. I'll take pix later on today and post them up showing both dimes next to each other. I found the first one in February of this year, and the second one just last weekend. Both are from the same mint.

Curious if this could be caused by: "Massive die collapse leaves dime without central design", as was reported back in 2011 by Coin World. Would anyone have a visual example of what Coin World was talking about in 2011?

Article from Coin World:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/massive-die-collapse-leaves-dime-without-cent.html

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  16. VistaCruiser69

0272C8B4-FC75-4E88-A14B-AC66FD8D26CE.jpeg D652FA1E-F417-40DF-B6DF-AE23F1603A25.jpeg D2616D18-DC9F-4A03-A8E7-0CFEFBF4DA0C.jpeg 4F8BD2CC-9139-4849-BFE9-6C97226DF29E.jpeg B3FA39FA-AFA3-4581-A4AD-696540E2F81E.jpeg 24D48782-EF5A-4DB9-867C-EF066133C48A.jpeg 78FC7325-AA76-4A0F-8FDA-B7EFF1A6720E.jpeg C12A1894-B527-442E-869D-519DA65DBEF5.jpeg 61BBA454-9B49-465E-85AB-08A5E9D317AF.jpeg 3F57E5F4-0D31-4CFB-8B45-E3AFA3E1F007.jpeg Multiple pix hoping to get the best quality. I’ve included two of the dimes pictured here at the very end, of same years without the “scar” across the face and hair for comparison. The 2019 shows more “scar” into the hair near the temple compared to the 2020. Not sure what it is but definitely looking for this when going through my change every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted