2019 D “Scarface” Dime?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by VistaCruiser69, Feb 28, 2020.

1. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Active Member

I got this in my change today. Looks like there’s a scar running down his face from top to bottom. For this reason I’m calling this one the Scarface dime. Any ideas on what’s going on with this one? For comparison a normal looking dime is pictured next to the one in question.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The photos are terrible! I think most collectors will know what a normal Rosie looks like. ~ Chris

Hookman likes this.
  4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Too much glare to see anything definitive.

Hookman likes this.
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's ugly. Too bad it's not a new variety.

6. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Well, if its a raised line it could be something. If it is a concave line, Then Meow thinks PMD. It looks like PMD to Meow. A rim of another coin got smashed hard into Roosevelt's face.

7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

That was my first thought but looking more closely, the arc doesn't appear circular enough. (Like the edge of a coin).

Hookman likes this.
  8. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Yea Ok. Meow can see what you mean. But does look like some sort of PMD.

Hookman likes this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Better photos are needed to make a definitive designation. I think it could be a struck through type of damage. But it could be several different things.
    I notice your photos are taken from a side angle, a straight on with low lighting photo may work better. I find shiny silver coins very hard to photograph.

10. bradgator2

bradgator2 Supporter! Supporter

Is it bad of me that your posts always make me chuckle?

Brad

11. GH#75

GH#75 Active Member

I think I see something through the glare, but you still need better pictures for us to identify what it is.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"He who can laugh at himself always laughs last!" ~ Chris

Hookman likes this.
  13. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Active Member

Here’s a few pix that I’m hoping doesn’t have too much glare.

The line across the dime is an imprint. It’s not a raised line, it’s more like an indention. At the bottom of the coin it looks more like a crack in the material. It’s also above the head all the way to the rim of the coin. Back side of the coin has no sign of this shape/indention.

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

That last photo is pretty good. I'm still on the side of Struck Through Foreign Object. I would say a string of some kind if pressed for an answer as to what kind of foreign object. A good coin to keep and revisit in a year or two.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted