2019 American Legion .999 silver medal - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LakeEffect, May 14, 2019.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

So the mint's releasing a 2-piece set - silver dollar and silver medal, both .999 silver. Medal mintage is limited to 10,000.

I don't collect medals but I do collect silver. The dollar isn't too ugly and there's only going to be 10,000 medals (maybe less).

Anybody getting one?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

If you don't want the medal don't buy the eagle from the mint, you can buy them for 19$ or about that from Apmex. I just think its too much money for that set, I don't collect medals either.

IM slowly putting a set together.
    IMG_20190514_220807367.jpg

4. Autoturf

Sorry I don't remember if its a proof in the set. but too much for 2 oz silver.

5. Autoturf

Hard to say on that silver dollar. may be worth a lot in the future. low mintage.

6. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

They do not sell the medal in any other ways?

7. LakeEffect

From the mint, no, they only sell the set in the link I provided. They'll be available in the aftermarket of course.

8. LakeEffect

It's not an Eagle, it's the American Legion commemorative dollar.

Autoturf and ldhair like this.
  9. MeowtheKitty

Oh no, Meow meant; Can one buy the medal by itself? Or does one HAVE to get this SET to get the medal? $99 seems more than a bit pricy, but if cant get something any other way it may be a good buy. But $99 is pricy, Meow most likely will not have enough scratch to get one.

George Bryan Sparlin likes this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I like the set. Would make a nice gift.

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

They have a whole slew of options with these medals, including the 2 coin Proof/Medal set.

It does appear, if you want this medal that it is only available in this set. I think the Obverse of the Proof Dollar is different from the other available Proof - checking other pictures ???
    upload_2019-5-15_8-45-41.png
    When the other options first came out on March 14th I overlooked them until I saw the one eagle reverse on the gold piece so I picked up a Proof one. I debated though because I'm sure this will get regulated to the "batch/any year" proof/uncirc gold/silver coins that apmex/provident sells for close to gold/silver spot down the road.

screen shots from usmint.gov
    upload_2019-5-15_8-35-57.png
    upload_2019-5-15_8-36-37.png
    upload_2019-5-15_8-37-13.png

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  12. LakeEffect

Sorry my post wasn't clear. No, the medal can not be bought by itself, only as part of the two-piece set.

13. Clawcoins

I have all the years from 1987 to current for a regular circulated ASE set. There's also the Uncirculated, and Proofs available; plus the various Platinum & Gold Eagles. The 4 coin Proof set is kewl to get.

But the design the of American Legion is one of it's own not to be confused with the ASE.

Autoturf likes this.
  14. MeowtheKitty

Meow thought ASEs where made from 1986. Are you missing that first year of issue?

15. MeowtheKitty

So it may be good buy. Too bad it costs so much. Cats don't have much money ya know...……..…...

16. Clawcoins

86 then. I have them all, just forgot off the top of my head when it started. I built it up mostly from just stacking circulated ASEs I did years ago - since sold off. I think I mixed the year up with the Platinum Eagle, which started in 1997 .. unless it was 96. lol

17. MeowtheKitty

You are lucky to have the funds to assemble such a collection.

18. Autoturf

I have the 86 S proof, and and 6 ase w and p, eagles, I just started a couple months ago on eagles, IMG_20190515_101402700.jpg but mabie ill shop more today, Im debating on that set in question myself. I like the low mintage

19. Autoturf

Also if you tell me where they are circulated, Id like to make a special trip to buy them for a dollar :)

20. Autoturf

Just kidding, Ill probably stay with the lower priced bullion, until I get more years. unless I see the proofs at auction reasonable.

21. Autoturf

I seen that after thanks, I checked that dollar is going to be limited at 400000, so its still going to be low mintage.

Draft saved Draft deleted