2018d Doubled ear penny.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MeowtheKitty, Jun 26, 2019.

1. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow has found another 2018d penny with a possible doubled die. This is the third 2018d penny Meow found that looks like similar to this one. This one is the most prominent one Meow found. Folks here seem to be unconvinced about these, but Meow thinks this looks just like the examples of doubled die ATB quarters. Is Meow wrong about this? WIN_20190625_18_12_30_Pro.jpg WIN_20190625_18_13_12_Pro.jpg WIN_20190625_18_12_50_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MeowtheKitty

Would someone who has more expertise than this Cat chime in on this please? Meow really thinks Meow has found something of note here.
    The State and ATB quarters have quite a few Wexler Doubled die listings for a similar feature on Washington's ear. Meow is hoping this could be a significant penny variation.

4. MeowtheKitty

It is also a smooth rounded bump, unlike the features of machine doubling or die deterioration. Meow also feels it is unlikely to be a plating bubble, as the rest of the penny does not exhibit such a tendency. Meow has also found two others that are similar, of the same year but with a little less definition.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I feel it is a plating bubble. Even if it is one spot.

And if you don't agree then that's ok.. A few new members around here lately love to disagree with all the specalists.. So I don't care as much.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. MeowtheKitty

So if Meow could find an identical coin, it would rule that out right? You may be right, as the other two like this Meow found is not a perfect match to this one. Meow will keep looking for others, and hope to find that perfect match. Thanks.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Meow.. I'm sorry. I shouldn't be venting on your thread. I like the way you analyze your coins and the positive ways you give your opinions. You might even be correct about the ear.. Who knows.
    I always look foward to your threads. And I thank you!

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  8. MeowtheKitty

So Cats aren't so bad eh?
    Meow is still suffering from empty wallet syndrome, so again no quarters again this week. And purrrr to you, sir!

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. MeowtheKitty

10. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

It does look like the soon to be listed 2018-D 1¢ WDDO-001! wATCH FOR THE listing and compare markers!

11. MeowtheKitty

Meow found another one today. Condition is not so great, definitely circulated. But its Meow's third one, so they are not all that impossible to find.
    WIN_20190805_18_35_22_Pro.jpg WIN_20190805_18_35_40_Pro.jpg

12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Razz is not an expert but to Razz it looks like a die chip. Razz could be wrong and Meow may have found a doubled die ear. Razz wishes Meow the best of luck!

13. MeowtheKitty

14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Razz read the thread. Razz is no expert as Razz stated. Razz hopes Meow's coin has all the markers and wishes Meow the best.

15. MeowtheKitty

Thanks!

16. MeowtheKitty

The strange thing is that Meow cant seem to find one of these in any of 2018d BU rolls Meow just happened to peel open. All three 2018 Ds where found CRH. Meow also found two 2015 Ds that are similar. The 2015 Ds have a smaller area of doubling than the 2018 Ds. Meow is less confident those may be true Doubled dies than these.

17. NathanD

NathanD Cherrypicker

It definitely looks like the new Wexler ddo. However, it also seems to be rather common and the value is little- probably around $10. But still, nice finds!

18. MeowtheKitty

Yes, unfortunately. Maybe like one of the more common State/ATB Quarters ones. But still fun to find. Meow would take a wild guess and say that maybe every 250 2018p pennies Meow finds CRH, Meow finds one of these.

Draft saved Draft deleted