2018 Year in Review

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PlanoSteve, Dec 12, 2017.

1. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Yes, this is looking back on some of the things that happened in 2018.

(1) A new record was set for the price of a coin. The $10,000,001.99 record was established when the famous "anonymous" purchased the raw Continental Dollar on eBay after a frenetic bidding spree with 27 other bidders. The seller did have 100% positive feedbacks, and specialized in children's clothing.

(2) In an effort to get a head start on 2019, the US Mint started production of 2019 cents (penny's for some of you). In a moment of lapse, some rolls were inadvertently sent out. When John M found a roll of 2019 cent/penny's while CRH at his bank, he became ecstatic and immediately posted them on eBay as error coins and actually sold 6 at $75.00 each. Unfortunately for the 6 buyers, here in 2019 they're worth $.01.

(3) The BEP in an effort to ride the coattails of the US Postal Service, decided to allow people to put their own pictures on bills, in place of the dead presidents & other famous dead people. You merely go to the BEP website, upload your picture (please, nothing that will offend others) and for a mere $3.75 fee (plus the cost of the bills) you can have your own face on a bill. There is a 100 bill minimum per order.

(4) Among the more important issues they have to deal with, Congress passed a bill to officially change the word "cent" to "penny" on said coin. They determined that after over 200 years they could not get people to use the word "cent" and it was too confusing for the population. The bill was passed unanimously and will take effect in 2024.

(5) In early 2018 the US Mint went into a hiring frenzy for designers & engravers and by the end of the year actually doubled their output of commemorative coins, determined to find the coins which will sell best. They have high hopes for the series on Kentucky Derby winners (I guess since they are all winners), and so far in 2019 they are selling well!

(6) In 2018 scientists confirmed that cancer is hereditary in white rats. Also, toning is hereditary in coinage!

(7) A series of tokens were issued which depicted animals being hunted & the great feasts which followed. They were issued by PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) and were advertised in the NRA magazine (I'm a member). They sold out in minutes.

In an attempt to take advantage of this new interest in tokens, Vegans (Very Excited Grain And Non-food Society) decided they will do a similar issue and advertise in Vanity Fair.

(8) Heritage Auctions reported they sold the same coin, a 1955 Franklin "Bugs Bunny" 5 times in 2018 between April 2 and April 6. They claim it happened so fast they didn't even have to ship it out the first 4 sales. Over the course of the 5 auctions, it had gone up by $1.73, proving you can make money flipping coins!

Well, a lot of other things happened in 2018, but this shows you how far we've come!

IMAG0438.jpg

Added the pic just because, oops! Unlike the colonials, I love this coin & the history.

Kasia, sakata, longshot and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Sad to see this post go for almost an entire day without comment.

"comment"

4. PlanoSteve

I'm new & this is my first post - I thought they were holding it for review since it's not in coin chat & there is an "eye glass" designator next to my submission. But it's been less than 24 hrs. How did you find it?

5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

It was amongst all the other crap. Nothing special. Good to have a decent satire writer on board.

6. PlanoSteve

Thanks, I'll try to keep it going occasionally.

7. Ruben

Ruben Member

8. PlanoSteve

Ruben, that's hilarious!!!! Thanks!

Kasia likes this.
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The winning bidder then executed a jump bid to $20,000,000 to gain notoriety.

TPGs didn't offer to create a special "pre-release" label?

Buyer and seller fees for the 5 auctions totaled $225 by the time the fifth auction hammered at $130.

10. PlanoSteve

messydesk, that's great, thanks! Re the TPG's, they wanted to but couldn't get their offer price below $150. what with the gold foil labels & all.

11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm disappointed that I missed out on the PETA tokens.
    The 2018 NO "P" cents were a big hit, till everyone realize the 2017-P was a one and done.

PlanoSteve and Kasia like this.
  12. PlanoSteve

Oh, that's a good one!

dwhiz likes this.
  13. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

And in 2020, Cointalk will be getting 4,289 new members who notice that the P mintmark is beneath the date on their 2017 cent and make a post, asking if it is an error. 1,002 of these members will post two or three separate posts about it. Five OPs will not believe others and will spend 10 pages of postings arguing why the people here are just wrong.

dwhiz and PlanoSteve like this.
  14. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Draft saved Draft deleted