2018-W Early Release Eagle

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dirtyfingers, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Dirtyfingers

Dirtyfingers Active Member

I recently purchased this coin at an auction on Heritage. Just opened it out of the mail and was adding it to my inventory and noticed there is no mint mark on it. I could be wrong, but I was under the assumption, all struck at west point will have a mint make lower left of the eagle on the reverse. The coin was slabbed and certified by NGC. I scan it with the app and it says it is legit by the number listed on the label. I looked around and can't find why it wouldn't have a mint mark. What am I missing? Thanks.
    2018 (W) 7JUL21 Obverse.jpeg 2018 (W) 7JUL21 Reverse.jpeg 2018 (W) Eagle NGC Verification.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's a 'bullion' coin struck as such, and therefore, doesn't possess a mint mark. Collector Eagles will possess a 'w','s' and possibly a 'd', but straight bullion coins are homeless..........but we all know they're struck at West Point.........unless, in dire times, they're sometime struck at Philly, and still lack a mint mark. :)

4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Looking at the label, I believe the W in brackets (W) indicates the mint mark is not on the coin.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Garlicus, JPD3 and John Burgess like this.
  5. green18

But was supposedly struck there......

John Burgess likes this.
  6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

…either there or in China. J/K :p

7. green18

rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The West Point bullion coins have no mint mark.

9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Then it would have (C).

halvessearcher likes this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It was. They only do that when they get monster boxes that are mint sealed. When they () it like that you know its the bullion version.

11. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

So if you bought/buy a particularly nice raw bullion AE that was/is claimed as struck at WP (or any other mint w/o m-mark), you'll have no way to ever prove it, nor will a TPG if you decided to slab it unless submitted in OGP. Correct...?

Garlicus likes this.
  12. green18

Yup

Mac McDonald likes this.
  13. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

You'd need to buy an intact monster box with codes that say it was struck at west point then submit the box for grading and then you'll have a bunch of slabbed bullion coins that are designated (w) and as long as they aren't cracked out it will always be what the slab says it was. Unless people lose faith in the grading company or they go out of business that is.

Out of the slab its just a bullion silver eagle like all the others.

Mac McDonald likes this.
  14. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

That's why the W is in parenthesis.

They graded it out of the sealed monster box with the correct sharpie notation of box #s.

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Learn something new every day, thanks everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted