2018 Secret Santa Sign Up

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mikenoodle, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

F02FE1F7-9A9C-40E9-B74C-F959716D5AE6.jpeg 2083128B-7C91-4A9E-B68E-64DC3C8A7295.jpeg F54422C7-4783-4AC1-B44D-30EBB309CD92.jpeg Ok finally got home last night and been trying to get this disaster at home taken care of. Basement flooded and then frozen pump frozen and broken house frigid and 9 cats left on their own with just basic care taking make a heck of a mess. So I got the water fixed and back on the house warm and the worst of the cat hair poop pee and shredded papers and paper towels cleaned up and picked up a mountain of mail. So I didn’t pay much attention to a box and that appeared to contain what I figured was just something for my business. Then I opened it and realized it was from my very generous ct secret Santa. First excusing my crappy quick pics a 2015 March of dimes commemorative silver set. This will go with the coins I’m putting together for my son when he gets older. I hope that numismatics is a passion we can both share as my father inspired me. One of the better memories I have of him. And then a bag of homemade cookies. Which I must say as I just finished my dinner are outstanding thanks so much

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

9 cats? Wow. We only have 6 here. Guess I need to find some more...

Mainebill and spirityoda like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Forgive me for being a grinch, but this is the second year in a row that my SS giftee did not post photos of their gifts. I know that I don’t make the rules, and this could be completely ignored and that’s fine, but I would like to suggest a rule for this year that no one is allowed to participate, if they participated the previous year and did not post their photos. All they would need to do is post photos in the old thread and be good to go. This would be tracked by secret Santa’s messaging the organizer of people to add to the naughty list. To get off the naughty list, the recipient must show a link to where they posted photos of their coins, and them they’re immediately allowed to participate.

Gilbert, USS656 and Kasia like this.
  5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I like this idea. Food for thought

Santinidollar and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. coin_nut

I think the person who runs this SS thing already has such a policy in place. I personally made sure to post a picture of all my SS coins in one bunch, and later post most if not all in individual posts all over this site. This was my first time to play Secret Santa and I probably screwed up in several ways, still it was great fun and it is really fun to give coins away like this!

7. Seattlite86

Nope. That’s why I recommended it.

8. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I could have sworn the policy was in place too...or I read it somewhere....
    *EDIT* Ok, I went back and read the 1st post. It's part of Rule 1 that you have to post photos (or at least acknowledge) what you recieved. But it doesn't say past "naughty list" members can't participate.... I think it's a good idea and should be adopted for future years.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

It should not have to be a rule. It should be common courtesy to show the gift from the generous member sending the present. Even if the gift is not appreciated, it should be acknowledged it was received. Since it is apparent there are non compliant members, my vote is for the motion on the floor.

mikenoodle and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m in agreement. I know it took me a long time to post pics but I explained why as I was away from home for a month due to the unexpected passing away of my mother in law. Maybe the host should pm them again and see if there’s an explanation. If not then maybe uninvited them next year

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

We tried this and I waited a good week or two for the person to respond. There’s possibly an explanation, but the rule seems like an easy addition that encourages people to post photos. I don’t personally see any reason it shouldn’t go, but I’m always open to input.

12. SchwaVB57

Do like they do in my small town. Names are posted in stores where a person wrote a bad check or shoplifted. Embarrassment works wonders.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Edit: I missed this was in jest.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  14. SchwaVB57

My comment was in jest. I am not a supporter of the shaming idea done by local businesses.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. mikenoodle

I want to thank everyone for their feedback, but let me try to rein this in just a bit...

Coin_nut, I am the guy who runs the Secret Santa. This was my first year which explains why there is no naughty list ban. There was no policy in place. I wasn’t given a list to start with. Everyone was given a clean slate.

That said, the ONLY people that deserve to be chastised are those who didn’t post any acknowledgement of their gifts.

I personally contacted everyone who failed to post pictures of their gifts and some responded with pictures to the thread, a couple did not. One corrected me and showed me where he had already posted pictures (nobody’s perfect).

There were some who didn’t understand the spirit of the exchange and didn’t share their gifts with the thread.

There were some who either felt that what they gave or what they received was somehow inadequate and to them I also think that you missed the spirit of this exchange as well.

There will be some rules adjustments next year, as I am a wiser man than I was in October.

We’ll see how charitable we feel next year, but I think I have a start to a naughty list. It’s truly a shame that I need one.

16. coin_nut

Thanks for going to all the work of running this thing and also for putting up with all of us problem children. Next year maybe we can have a real potlatch!

mikenoodle likes this.
  17. mikenoodle

This is a blast every year. I have participated almost every year since its inception, and it's always been a good time

18. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

These things never go without a hitch, but I think it went pretty well. I certainly enjoyed it as much as I have in previous years. I look forward to next year! Thanks again Mike for running it!

19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I think Mike did a great job and went through great lengths to ensure that everyone enjoyed themselves and kept it running smoothly the entire time. As a former head of the exchange, I can assure you that it is difficult to keep up with every aspect of this and this heavily relies on the participants to follow through by sending a gift, acknowledging the receipt of their gift and posting photos when they open their gifts. I wish everyone understood this basic concept and how much it influences the decision of members to participate again. In the several years that I was the host, the number of participants declined every year as a direct result of others not following the basic rules. There is nothing that the host can really do about this except to adjust the rules accordingly to try and stop it next year. If you read the rules back several years until now, you will see that it is spelled out many times what is required to participate, the simple fact is that not all rules are followed. I’m sure that Santa Mike will make the appropriate adjustments to the rules as he sees fit, and I hope to see you all back and some new members next year. Let’s not let a few bad apples spoil this exchange, I truly enjoy it and hope to participate for many years to come.

mikenoodle, USS656, Rassi and 6 others like this.
  20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Ok ok.. Here are my great coins from @spirityoda :woot:
    20181225_114054-1.jpg 20181225_114113-1.jpg 20181225_114014-1.jpg 20181225_113937-1.jpg 20181225_113859-1.jpg 20181225_113429-1.jpg 20181225_113412-1.jpg

21. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I'm a little late to the party but I have been busy. Thanks Santa! 20190122_123354.jpg 20190122_123343.jpg
    1548185927962-2142938387.jpg

Kasia, spirityoda, Rassi and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted